It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/6999462.stm
Quote:
YouTube bid to reduce road deaths
The hard-hitting videos have been posted on the internet

YouTube videos are being used in a cross-border bid to help reduce road deaths among young drivers.
Dumfries and Galloway Safety Camera Partnership and Safer Roads for Cumbria have teamed up for the initiative.
In the last three years a total of 44 people aged between 16 and 25 have died on the roads of the two areas.
The move comes after a number of incidents in southern Scotland where police have had to investigate driving footage being posted on YouTube.
The safety groups hope the videos will help get their message across to a "notoriously difficult group to engage with".

The adverts will also appear on local television.

Safety message
Project Manager for DGSCP, Sgt Eric Dunion, said he hoped the videos would reach their target group.
"This new cross-border campaign targeting young drivers, a notoriously difficult group to engage with, delivers our message direct to young people in Dumfries and Galloway and Cumbria by utilising new technologies," he said.
"The campaign appears for the first time on Border TV later in the week but already the adverts are being broadcast across the internet on social networking sites typically used by young people such as YouTube.
"Capable of being downloaded to mobile telephones and mailed to one another, I hope that by using these new technologies the road safety message will get to young people and make a difference on our regions' roads."

I see it has been left to Safer Roads for Cumbria and not CSCP to handle this one!
I wonder if our tractor driving moron which I posted up recently has taken any notice? :(

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 14:21 
Life Member
Life Member

A car certainly can be a toy in the sense that its purpose can be purely aimed at enjoying track days for instance. I think a better slogan would be -

"The road is not a playground"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 16:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

toltec wrote:
"The road is not a playground"

Excellent, much better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:16 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I see it has been left to Safer Roads for Cumbria and not CSCP to handle this one!
Looks like they could be one and the same.

From http://www.saferroads4cumbria.org.uk/News/newsflash.asp

Quote:
Kevin Tea, communications manager for Safer Roads For Cumbria <snip>
Unless Kevin is moonlighting, or merely wearing 2 hats...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 01:49 
User

No, he has two hats - one for each face! :roll:

Note that Cumbria Fire Brigade signed up to Safer Roads for Cumbria, but NOT the CSCP as is often the case in other SCPs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 22:33 
User

"Safer Roads for Cumbria" appears to be the new mouthpiece for CSCP :roll:

Looks like there's more cross border cooperation now (what does the First Minister think of that? :lol: :lol: )

I went on a school trip to Fawlty Towers, sorry Carleton Hall, in 1985 we were told by a Trafpol they had no legal power to stop a vehicle north of the border :lol: He also said that when driving off duty when he saw a police vehicle the first thing he did was check his speedometer :lol: :lol: (He was a Hendon Class one driver) [/i]