Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 19:23 
User

:yikes: Watch out I passed today :smile:

Now I have a :headache: as to what bike to buy. What a great position to be in :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 08:32 
User

Congratulations!!

I would buy something older and a bit crap to start with so you don't have to worry too much about b*ggering it up... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:09 
User

:clap: Congratulations :clap:

I agree with Sixy, get yourself something with useful power but not too new as even if you don't fall off yourself, someone will more than likely help you.

Take care and welcome to the wonderful world of biking :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 13:52 

theboxers wrote:
:yikes: Watch out I passed today :smile:

Now I have a :headache: as to what bike to buy. What a great position to be in :lol:

Congratulations!!!

If you're totally new to biking (as opposed to a born again) you may wish to consider a Honda CB500 or Kawasaki ER500 or similar.

What did you take your test on?

I'm sure myself and the other bikers here will give you some pointers/recommendations if you want them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 17:30 
User

Thank you all :D

I passed on a CBF500. I will take any words of wisdom you can throw at me. Also has the telepathy op been perfected yet? I could use all the help I can get :lol:

I am looking at a 650 GS/V-Strom/Versys type bike for around town and initial self improvement. The biggest deciding factor for me is the gear selector. I have size 13 feet and the lever on the CBF was too close to the foot peg to make changing gears easy (the fewer distractions the better).

I also want a bike that I can ride for long periods of time. After a couple of hours on the CBF I knew I had been riding for 2 hours. I want something a little more comfortable. More dual sport than full on tourer. Full on sports bikes do not interest me as such.

I am in the process of arranging various test rides at dealers to get a feel for the type of bike I am looking for. I have not ruled out an older bike to get started on.

Looking forward to seeing you on the road :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 17:56 

theboxers wrote:
I have size 13 feet and the lever on the CBF was too close to the foot peg to make changing gears easy...
Ah, a shortarse... :)

I have size 14's(!) and in the past, I have adjusted the gear lever to suit me. The gear lever is mounted on a spline. You loosen the locking nut, pull the lever off and put it back on a few teeth up or down, whichever suits you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 02:48 
User

BottyBurp wrote:
theboxers wrote:
I have size 13 feet and the lever on the CBF was too close to the foot peg to make changing gears easy...
Ah, a shortarse... :)

Just shy of 6ft. It's the mid rift that is causing the large feet :lol: I used to be an 11 :oops:

BottyBurp wrote:
I have size 14's(!) and in the past, I have adjusted the gear lever to suit me. The gear lever is mounted on a spline. You loosen the locking nut, pull the lever off and put it back on a few teeth up or down, whichever suits you.

Ay I know but it is better imo if you do not have to move it. Not too mechanically inclined (I have the scrap to prove it too) :twisted:

Post subject: Im new!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 22:09 
New User
New User

Hey everyone,
Just thought Id say Hi! Im new to biking really. (apart from when I was in my late teens and managed to drop a GPZ550!) Im now 36 and have finally decided after all this time I need my full license. I need a bike! So, yesterday I booked my theory for March & my CBT the weekend after. After which Ill be getting stuck into the DAS. I bought the Official Theory Test book, and maybe Im being a bit too confident, but I havent bothered to order the Hazard Perception dvd.... Ill let you know in the spring if that was a big mistake! :? After which I fancy a Bandit maybe? ( p.s. I was recently advised by a buch of traffic cops NOT to go for my license or a bike because of the accident rate.... hmmm? Sho....