The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 04:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fancy a swim?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 16:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Every year this always gets my back up! :furious:

We've had a lot of rain in the Midlands lately and once again I notice there are stretches of road which are quite literally like a swimming pool. One part on the M5/M42 in particular splashes to mind, where there are about six lanes by a bridge. It's bloody dangerous!

Now then, when the Romans built their roads, which are as good today as when they were made, they built them with a slight curve so that the water ran to the side. Why have we stopped doing that? Has cost reared its ugly head again or don't they teach Civil Engineers these things any more?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fancy a swim?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 16:32 

Big Tone wrote:
......don't they teach Civil Engineers these things any more?

Uh oh, I'd prepare for INCOMING if I were you :lol:

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject: Re: Fancy a swim?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 17:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rigpig wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
......don't they teach Civil Engineers these things any more?

Uh oh, I'd prepare for INCOMING if I were you :lol:

Oh dear, I've shot the bullet now. I.. erm... couldn't see a tongue in cheek smiley to put at the end. Yes - that was it :)

But seriously, the junction I refer to is where the two motorways merge. Traffic is getting quite a wriggle on, with drivers looking over their shoulder jostling to get their nose in front, and for people who are not familiar with this stretch they may think it's shallow. If you hit it at 70 mph you would feel a very dramatic change and maybe even start to aquaplane.

This isn't the only road I notice but it is one of the worst I know and I just don't understand why they don't build them slightly convex. It's simple and effective, just like me :lol:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 01:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Tone - i live in a town in WM -where for years we've had floods on one major road - lately we've had warnings about manhole covers lifting in the floods--when the road is flooded - and for some months i've had a complaint in about sunken manholes, dropped gullies et al. But then ,before we get INCOMING - can they seriously complain about criticism, when the same LA decides to place the ring road around the town , and fails to get the second attempt right, even creating more jams with their efforts.

I saw a joke on the real tail of a traffic cone vehicle " Creating jams since 19xx" - perhaps that would be a better slogan for Warks CC-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 22:02 
User

The last section of the M60 - Stockport round to M62 at Middleton - flooded within weeks of opening. It closed twice last year in downpours with over 2ft of water under one bridge. Any sign of rain and the signs flash up warning of standing water instantly. There are streams of water all over the place and acres of standing water. Rumour has it fixing the problem will involve effectively building a new carriageway.
We paid for it and those responisible will never be held to account. There are only three choices surely:
The then Roads Minister, who insisted it was built with insufficent funds.
The Civil Engineer who either couldn't put a shelf up straight or who designed it knowing it was cr*p (see above).
The builders who didn't build it properly
Some may flood due to maintainance problems but the M60 was rotten right out of the box. And who ever was responsible will have got well rewarded and have left us with a dangerous section of road and an even bigger bill to fix it. Argghhhhh!!!!!

Barkstar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 16:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It sounds like this problem is all over the country. Can England do anything right?

I've said this elsewhere but how can a country made of coal, floating on oil and surrounded by a rich soup of food do so badly.

The mind boggles. We are being led by fools :jester:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 16:56 
User

Big Tone wrote:
We are being led by fools :jester:

Give the man a shiney thing! :lol:

Maybe they built the roads with the foresight that we're going to be living in a desert in 20 years' time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 19:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Perhaps this firm knows something we don't

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:

:) With the global warming I'm sure their business will flurish.

Stop press! A guy, with whom I work, was just talking about this topic and he said that modern road surfaces are designed to absorb the water. Well if they are they're clearly not working methinks.

Is this true anyone? Are they made of blotting paper now? Is he pulling my leg? I feel an internet search coming on. I'll try putting 'British tarmac' into Google and see what happens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well slap me with a wet kipper and call me Susan...

http://212.78.72.40/7jan2005.aspx

Still need drains and a curved road though. Duhh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:42 
User

IIRC the M6 toll road had to have drainage works on it within a few months of opening - it's mentioned on the ABD website

http://www.abd.org.uk/local/m6_toll.htm

abd page wrote:
Jams Already
In January, traffic jams occured on the M6 Toll during the rush hour when roadworks necessitated the closure of two lanes near junction T3. The roadworks were needed because large puddles had formed on the carriageway — apparently the constructors had some difficultly understanding that water flows downhill.
Public relations experts Midland Expressway have refused to comment.

aha ... seek and Google shall find ... it was 5 weeks after it opened: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 409909.stm

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.