Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 23:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 18:41 
Site Admin

Various reports in the Local Press this week indicate that Northern Constabulary and Highland Council are quite advanced along the route to create a partnership. I have discovered that councillors passed the proposal to "create a business case" (!) by the marginal vote of 10:12.

I spent much of Friday introducing myself to the local press and preparing for battle.

I have called a public meeting in Inverness on the Thursday 13th May at the Thistle Hotel (formerly the Mercury Hotel). Doors open 7.00pm. Naturally I'll be inviting the Police and the Council as well as the public.

I have a load of material in preparation for the local press that should go out tomorrow.

I will start a new Safe Speed section called "local" as soon as the press information has gone out.

If anyone reading this is in the Northern Constabulary Police force area (and you disagree with the formation of the partnership), please get in touch.

I have identified The Police Officer in charge of preparations: Derek Croney. I spoke to him on the telephone - very friendly and helpful - and we immediately agreed a meeting to discuss the issues. A couple of hours later I had a phone call to advise me that Chief Inspector Arnott had forbidden the meeting. So I rang CI Arnott who would only suggest that I wrote to him. So I did.

I have spoken to the Chief Constable's office and requested a meeting. The Chief Constable (Ian Latimer) is away for a couple of weeks.

Naturally I'll be contacting Local radio and TV, but I have not done so yet - Monday I think, or I might actually take Monday off. :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 18:47 
User

Take the time to clean out your barrel, then make sure you are loaded with armour piercing ammunition.
Well done for this stand, and I wish you all the very best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 23:02 
Life Member
Life Member

Best of luck to you Paul.

The roads in the Highland area of Scotland are very similair to where I live. Since the adoption of the scamera partnership in 2003 by Northumbria Police public support for the Police has been sliding accordingly.

Do the members of the Highland Constabulary wish to tarnish themselves with the same brush?

Profiteering from scamera partnerships is criminialising the very people the Police look to for support.

Is there a real need for these grey boxes is the Highlands?

Will it contribute to road safety by placing a grey box at the side of the road as oppose to an experienced Police Traffic Officer, who can administer the law and distinguish between a motorist exceeding a speed "limit" in the wee small hours on an empty road and drivers who choose to drive uninsured, drunk and sometimes under the influence of drugs?

Or, does the real answer lie in the camera hypothecation scheme, where the Police have a very lucrative interest in speed enforcement???

Well the residents will have to make their own minds up. I wonder if opinions will change as fines are imposed and the resulting frustration, stress and unbelievable propaganda from the Police increases?

Watch this space...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 14:16 

Good Luck !! It would seem that you are already having some effect, given that they haved banned an officer from speaking to you, would appear to indicate that they not comfortable.

It would seem to me that if they have nothing to hide why are they not being one hundred per cent open and forthcoming ????

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk