Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 21:02 
User

Paul was quoted a couple of times in an article on the second page (I think) of today's Daily Mail. Don't have the paper with me so I can't provide the article, unfortunately, but worth mentioning! It was about the proposed 20mph speed camera plans (in London) and the removal of speed humps.

Was disappointing to see that it introduced him as just 'of Safe Speed' - a link to the web site would have been nice, or even a mention of the fact that Safe Speed is a motoring organisation and what it stands for! Oh well, any publicity is good publicity.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 23:15 
Site Admin

mike[F] wrote:
Paul was quoted a couple of times in an article on the second page (I think) of today's Daily Mail.

Ahh good. Thanks Mike. It wasn't in the Scottish edition. Can anyone help with a scan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 02:48 
Site Admin

I've been somewhat misquoted there. My point about 20mph limit dangers is made more clearly in PR116 issued later on the 16th. I haven't got it on line yet, but it will soon be available at:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/pr116.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 15:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I would be surprised to see this happen to any great extent as permanent SPECS schemes have never been effective revenue-raisers, which helps explain why there are so few of them.

Regards,

Peter

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject: 20mph speed limit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 14:26 
New User
New User

No one seems to have mentioned the fact that accidents also occur because many pedestrians don't pay attention when crossing the road. The current move has more to do with politics than safety, that local roads belong to residents not motorists. There is a certain amount of hypocrisy here. Residents everywhere want 20MPH zones in their local streets but aren't prepared to drive at that speed themselves when outside their neighbourhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 16:04 
User

I don't want a 20mph zone in my street, particularly if it means speed bumps.. Fortunately I live on a short, very steep street, so there's not much danger of speed bumps outside my house. You wouldn't want to drive down here faster than 15mph anyway!

Post subject: Re: 20mph speed limit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 20:13 
User

dbermant wrote:
No one seems to have mentioned the fact that accidents also occur because many pedestrians don't pay attention when crossing the road. The current move has more to do with politics than safety, that local roads belong to residents not motorists. There is a certain amount of hypocrisy here. Residents everywhere want 20MPH zones in their local streets but aren't prepared to drive at that speed themselves when outside their neighbourhood.

Whenever we dare suggest that anyone other than a motorist is responsible for an accident - we get "flamed!"

Long time ago now - different and general discussion forum - one of us dared to suggest that if he were run over - it could be his fault for stepping off the kerb without looking, or choosing an unhsafe place to cross. He came under viscious attack from the pro-scammers over this. (Chap happens to be motoring law expert and road safety nerd based in Germany and is the wife's eldest cousin :wink: ) In fact, the wife made similar comment on PH and got blasted by a BiB for it!

We have noted for ourselves that the ramblers and pedestrians along the 20mph stretches seem to be more oblivious to traffic than they were previously, and we wonder if the lower speed is lulling them into false sense of security or even whether they are less able to judge lower speed in any case.

As for the humps - my Ma lives in Manchester area. Her road has humps. Child aged about 8 was riding his bike faster than I was driving. In fact he did pedal straight at me twice and swerve at last minute (and this is leafy posh residential area - very des res Worsley! :wink: ) Was doing about 15mph - but if he had rammed me - he would have received some nasty injuries, and I would bet it would have been all my fault - of course! Did complain to little tyke's parents - who were, in fairness, concerend at their son's behaviour and promised to have words with him. But had this been a different area - :roll: what is betting I would have come off worse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:54 

With the exception of motorist turning into side roads, I'd say most pedestrian accidents are pretty much the peds fault.

It's one of the reasons why I think zebras are better then pelicans. They make BOTH parties keep their eye open for each other.

With regard to speed humps & 20 zones - my local safety officer claims they cut accidents by 70%. He could conceive that perhaps 70% of drivers chose a different route.