Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 04:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:17 
Site Admin

http://www.mansfieldtoday.co.uk/viewart ... tionID=722

Highways' 'spurious' figures are criticised

SHIREBROOK Town Council has slammed highway chiefs for supplying 'spurious' figures to support the need for speed cameras on Portland Road.

At a meeting last week, town councillors said Derbyshire County Council officials had told them cameras were necessary because of the number of serious accidents on the road.
But details requested by the council revealed only four accidents had taken place between 1999 and 2001 ? none of which were on Portland Road.
Coun Martin Dawkins said: "Officers have used information to quantify their arguments and it's not correct. How often do they use spurious figures to make their arguments?"
The incidents, all of which resulted in serious injury, happened on King Edward Street, Main Street and Station Road.
Chairman Andy Anderson said: "If I go through a speed camera and I'm speeding then fair enough. What I object to is people putting them up to make money. I've got a problem with being told lies."
And Coun Steve Fritchley said there were other roads and junctions in the area that were dangerous and would be better sites for the cameras.
The town council has decided to evict an organisation from the Park Avenue Allotments following an on-going dispute.
Shirebrook and Langwith Junction Enterprise Ltd has been renting plots, but was warned last month that the council was considering taking action.
Chairman Coun Andy Anderson said: "The letter was 'do what we want or get off'. They haven't done what we want."
Councillors also agreed to rent plots directly to Derbyshire County Council for their Adult Community Education courses ? which were previously leased through Junction Enterprise.

17 December 2003