Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 01:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 14:43 
User

The BBC has a fascinating new online poll asking the question "Should we scrap speed cameras?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/

The 78% of the public who apparently support cameras are, yet again, conspicuous by their absence. Do they actually exist?

I was very interested to read Mervyn Stone's condemnation of the Dft opinion poll's "disgracefully" biased questions.

Jim

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 18:15 
Camera Partnership Manager
Camera Partnership Manager

JimB wrote:
The BBC has a fascinating new online poll asking the question "Should we scrap speed cameras?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/

The 78% of the public who apparently support cameras are, yet again, conspicuous by their absence. Do they actually exist?

I was very interested to read Mervyn Stone's condemnation of the Dft opinion poll's "disgracefully" biased questions.

Jim

Why should they take part they have what they want

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 18:38 

itschampionman wrote:
Why should they take part they have what they want

Well they seem to take part in the DfT ones, so why not anywhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 18:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Now 87% in favour of scrapping cameras, with 552 votes cast :D

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 15:52 

The Times online vote went to 96% against. That was on the same day they reported on the claims for casualty reduction at camera sites!

You can fool some of the people all of the time but....well you know the rest!

I think it would be hard for any partnership to come up with an independant report that shows the public in favour. Unless the stood outside age concern or a tree-hugger meeting with their clipboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 21:16 
User

personally i think if you were to ask people if they agreed with speed cameras outside there house/street/school... a lot would agree.

However there does seem to be a lot of "only in my backyard" syndrome where people want them in there street, but don't agree with them everywhere... so i guess if you asked people if they agreed with cameras in there street a lot would agree.

Same with humps, speed reductions, etc... seems to be the case locally!

And what's with all the road narrowing, rumble strips and red paint everywhere? has to be the bigest waste of money i've seen, perhaps they'd be better spending it on repairing some of the roads instead... sorry am i being silly now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 09:47 
paulcdb wrote:
personally i think if you were to ask people if they agreed with speed cameras outside there house/street/school... a lot would agree...

Well, they're welcome to ask me... my answer would be, 'No, I do not what cameras, hump etc. on my street'.

I would much rather drivers watched for hazards which already exist, not introduce the additional distractions that these council imposed obstacle courses bring.

Kaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 19:51 
Life Member
Life Member

Of course, by phrasing the question differently and by biasing the interviewee as to what is the 'right' answer, you can get any result you want from an opinion poll. I could run an opinion poll that showed 90% of people are in favour of speed camera and another showing that 90% of people are against them.

Of course neither opinion poll would have any effect on whether they actually work to reduce accidents or not.