It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 20:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Found this in local paper
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/in-yo ... t-14546314
" Speeding drivers caught by cameras Nuneaton and Bedworth have increased by an incredible 140 per cent in just THREE years.

The eye-watering rise in the number of drivers caught across the two towns has been revealed in figures obtained by CoventryLive via the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act.

According to the FOI response, the number of offences detected across the borough has risen from 3,232 in 2014/15 to 7,784 in 2016/17.

In a breakdown of the figures, Nuneaton has the most drivers caught, with 2,082 of the 3.232 offences in 2014/15, 3,861 of the 6,478 in 2015/16 and 5,965 of the 7,784 offences in 2016/17.

This is likely down to the fact that the town plays home to more fixed speed cameras than in Bedworth .

In fact, Nuneaton has six of the seven speed cameras in the borough.
A speed camera on Greenmoor Road, Nuneaton (Image: Google street Maps)

But, according to another FOI request, of the seven fixed speed cameras in the two towns, only five of them are operational.

CoventryLive attempted to find out which two were not working, but was told this information was exempt because it could impact on law enforcement and health and safety.

Other attempts were made to find out just how much money was generated from the number of speeding fines given over the past three years.
Read More

Investigations continue into why huge swathes of Nuneaton were plunged into darkness

But, due to the fact that each offence is dealt with on an individual and the driver could be given a number of options, from a speed awareness course to a conditional offer or prosecution, this detailed information was not available.

What is known is that, over the past three years, there has been a rise in the number of mobile speed camera operations across the two towns, many of which are requested by communities hardest-hit by speeding motorists.

Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams (SNTs) carry out regular stings to stop speeding drivers and, judging by the trend of increase in offences over the past three years, the figures for 2017//18 are set to be even higher"

HOWEVER no mention of the increase in accidents that the SCP would have us believe would result from this massive outbreak of
speeding . I'm now minded to stick in an FOI on this .Any suggestions of what to ask for/wording would be appreciated.

ETA- having read about the visits where offences were recorded- an item in same paper last year stated that on one or more visits to another so called speeding hotspot, 400 vehicles were checked on one visit and one vehicle was judged to be over the guidelines for prosecution

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 21:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can't find the reporter's e amil address, but I've found the FB page and posed the question on how many accidents, and perhaps THIS should be next FOI. i AWAIT A REPLY.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 23:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking for info, I visited the page advertised on the paper- and the story has CHANGED. Not even that, but the link I gave on this post has VANISHED, with the new story taking pride of place.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 

So we would expect accidents to increase by 140% with all those extra "nutcases" on the road.....somehow doubt it though.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 23:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As I said, after I posed the "how many accidents" question on the paper's FB page, the story changed to how the safer Neighbourhood team are doing a great job for road safety, but no mention of the "dangerous " motorists. Must be a large lump under the carpet to have brushed that lot . :shock:
I though Claire might be interested and know the sort of question to put to show how the link between speed and accidents is there only in the cash converters minds.