Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 03:52 
Site Admin

Telegraph wrote:
Drivers tricked by 'fake' 40mph speed limit signs
Pranksters blamed for speeding offences after drivers caught out by 40mph signs in 30mph zone
Pranksters changed the speed limit from 30mph to 40mph on the A360

By Nick Collins, Transport Correspondent 4:10PM BST 03 Oct 2014

Drivers who were fooled into speeding after 40mph signs mysteriously appeared on a 30mph road have claimed they should not be fined for their mistakes.
Pranksters are believed to be behind the sudden arrival of four official-looking circular signs on the A630 near Rotherham, with the local council admitting it has no idea where they came from.
A driving instructor was reportedly among those caught out by the incorrect signs, which were attached to lampposts along a one-mile stretch of the road at the former pit village of Thrybergh.

The signs are believed to have been erected at some point between Monday 22nd and Thursday 25th of September, when they were removed by officials.
“Nobody knows where [the signs] came from,” a police spokeswoman said. “The initial indication we have had is [that] somebody has clearly done it as a joke”.

Police were unable to confirm how many motorists had fallen foul of the practical joke, but said they became aware of it after a driver contacted the Rotherham Advertiser having received a speeding fine.

Dave Russell, of Thrybergh, said he had been given three points for speeding along the stretch of road, and his daughter had also been caught.

He said: “The speed camera van has literally been parked across the road from a 40mph sign dishing out speeding fines for people driving over 30mph, it's ridiculous.
"What exactly is the speed limit on there and should people really be fined if they've just been properly paying attention to the signs and doing 40mph?”
His daughter Lucy Clare, 18, added: "I've not been driving very long and I was taught to follow what the signs tell me.
"I'm booked onto a speed awareness course after I was caught driving at 36mph on Doncaster Road where the signs said 40mph. I don't know what to make of it."

The stretch of the A630 in question is regularly patrolled by mobile cameras and has large 30mph signs at the beginning and end, but the 40mph signs appeared in between them.

A Rotherham Council spokeswoman added: “It is a 30mph limit and has been for years.
“It has certainly not been done by the local authority, but they seem to be proper signs. You might call it a prank but it’s also dangerous – it is 30mph for a reason.”

This is just simply appalling !
The fact that the camera van parked so close to it and failed to notice it neigh defies belief!
All speeding fines ought to be removed from this road going back some time prior to the first notification!
It is the local Council legal responsibility to the Government to ensure that the road signs are all correct!
Having police on the road is the proper and intelligent way to police the roads and this points this out admirably!

Profile Send private message