The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A5 REDGATE ETC UPGRADES
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 21:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I'm not sure where to post this ,as it's more about the failure of the road safety policy and the cameras at this junction to cure a serious road safety issue. ( I've searched for Redgate issues ,which I know have been posted about ,with no result).

Two items of news today
http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Delays-e ... story.html
http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Major-hi ... story.html

Redgate is in there, with improvements at Mira and Wood Lane ( between A444 and Higham island. ) This is a particular nasty turn ( especially right) as vision is severly restricted on the opposite side of the road,with a hump in the road.

However, once it's all done, no doubt as usual any /all safety improvements will be credited to the cameras which have had little/no effort on road safety.
Might be worth a watch on this one.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 02:12 
Site Admin

It has a road safety element so in here is fine. Thanks it will be interesting to see if it improves afterwards. With proper sound engineering and science hopefully carefully thought out it ought to provide a real road safety benefit. :)

Edited to add this link to a search for Redgate :
search.php?keywords=Redgate&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
(Cat & Fiddle - earlier in this Forum)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 09:43 
User

Map of new/improved junctions is here:
http://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/dow ... p_of_works

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 21:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks, ED, as usual ,clear as mud. I'd suspect from what I can make out is that Redgate will become an island, as has always been suggested. I can't see what is proposed for WOOD Lane ( Higham to A5) , a junction as nasty IMHO as Redgate. On the face of it, GSJ on both sides, though finding the room on the Caldecote side would be difficult , would seem a solution, but from practical experience crossing the A5 from A444 TO a444 can be tricky as drivers on the A5 have their eyes riveted on the cameras, which instead of being a safety solution ,merely add to the problem . There's another junction a mile north with far less of a record-Woodford lane. Very similar type, as it's possible to cross over into Drayton lane without a central reservation .ONLY DIFFERENCE IS REDGATE HAS CAMERAS. Perhaps that says a lot for "SafEtY" CAMERAS.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 08:55 
User

botach wrote:
thanks, ED, as usual ,clear as mud. I'd suspect from what I can make out is that Redgate will become an island, as has always been suggested. I can't see what is proposed for WOOD Lane ( Higham to A5)

Pretty clear i thought..... redgate becomes and elongated island with 2 lanes & conventional give ways.
Red is kerbs so wood lane junction gets a centre reservation to make it left turn only.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 16:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Had to go to Hinckley the other day and on way back decided to look at what was happening. Looks good even part way through, except for the temporary bollard island where Redgate junction used to be. Very confusing. Must be interesting at rush hour when the "Treacklies"decide not to wait fora gap, but fill up the island as is their wont. :?