Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 23:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
From a local paper .Another shower of hysterical locals ,with an accident which has no excess speed /inappropriate speed connotations. From the photo , they are posing close to the junction of the B4112 and the B 4102. But all along this not so wide road, the residents park on the road , in an area where the religion is to take right of way whether or not it's your to take, with speeding not being an option as you never know whether or not anything coming from the opposite direction could be relied on to yield to your right of way. I'd suspect that sitting in the sidelines helping matters along is the county SCP team . I seem to remember that for long enough the limit at this point was :40: ,and slowly but surely the limit has been lowered . i don't seem to remember any articles in the local press on speed purges on this section of road, and the same local paper is always keen to shout about speeding, to the extent that the last speed offensive in another part of the town spend a day to catch a few marginally over ,and almost all at or under the speed limit. Nice to know that the limited & decreasing Police budget is being used wisely .
http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Stocking ... story.html
ANXIOUS neighbours have taken a battle to stop speeding motorists just yards from their front doors into their own hands.

As a result of what they have described as ‘shocking’ problems with cars and motorbikes using their road as a racetrack, they have formed Ansley Road Community Action group.

It was a near fatal accident back in February that has prompted the band of Ansley Road residents to unite to try and put the brakes on the dangerous situation.

Reverend Brian Regan, one of the residents who helped to form the group, explained: “A near fatal accident took place causing injury and the destruction of four vehicles, and the demolition of someone’s front wall.

“The resident’s daughter had only just taken her baby daughter from out of one of those cars just seconds beforehand.

“To prevent this sort of thing happening again, we decided that urgent action is needed. Cars and bikes race up and down the road without a care and something needs to be done.”

The group are desperate for what are known as PIR Matrix speed signs to be put at either end of the long road to warn motorists about the 30mph speed limit.

Having raised a petition and launched a campaign on social networking site Facebook to gather support, the group turned to Warwickshire County ward councillor Bill Olner for help.

Cllr Olner, the town’s former MP, is due to make a plea to Shire Hall bosses to pay for the speed warning signs in the New Year.

But to highlight the fact that it is something that the whole community wants, members of Ansley Road Community Action decided to ask every resident for a £1 donation towards the cost.

Turn to P3

Cont from P1.

Armed with collection buckets Rev Regan and three other group members, took to the pavement along Ansley Road, asking each household for £1 each.

“This is a community action, we want to show we all want a stake in it, so we need to put our money where our mouth is,” Rev Regan said.

The group were astounded with the response that they got from their neighbours.

“The response from the people was fantastic, talk about starting the Season of Good Will,” Rev Regan said.

“People stopped us in the street to say 'well done' others crossed the road to contribute with beaming faces.

“The group agree that it has united our community more than ever. As it says on our Ansley Road Community Action Facebook site, 'We are united in creating a safer environment for this area' and this has more than proved it.”

The group is still counting the money raised, but it is believed to be more than enough to prove to the county council that Ansley Road residents mean business when it comes to tackling the speeding problem.

Prior to the crunch meeting at the county council where a decision will be made to provide the lions share of the funding for the speed signs, members of the group will present the cheque to Cllr Olner.

In the meantime, they are still keen to raise awareness to their cause and anyone who would like to show their support can do so via the Facebook group, ‘Ansley Road Community Action.’

Read more: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Stocking ... z2nrl4mKKE

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 09:19 

It was back in February, when they had the accident, so let me guess, someone who has never driven in the winter before, slid on sheet ice and demolished a few vehicles and a wall. Notice it's always a few women who probably don't drive and the local vicar/councillor/retired busybody who are up in arms.

These groups would have more credibility if it was lorry drivers/police etc who were concerned.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 
User

:lol:

The accident cited clearly would have been prevented by flashing PIR signs...... oh wait.

Like you say either icy conditions or more likely some careless twunt recklessly unaware and far enough over the speed limit to bounce of several things on the way to stopping.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 22:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thing is Ed ,that there's no official claim on speed ,as Warks SCP normally do . This section of road is close to the turn off to Astley lane , where there's usually a good few cars parked on the road and the Nuneaton habit of "sod courtesy /right of way, iM PUSHING ON regardless. " Again any mention of speed could be countered by the fact that not so long ago the :40: limit started /ended close to where the photo was taken .I'd suggest double yellows and proper enforcement would do more good ,along with proper policing and tailgaiting enforcement, not a bloke holding sermons by the road side . Sadly this shows how many sensible folks have been taken in by the propaganda of the speed kills brigade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 05:47 
Site Admin

Google reference to Ansley Road : https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ansley ... ngdom&z=12

Having looked at the Crash Map data (in this case via the BBC) here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm
There are no reported KSI along the entire stretch of road.
If what you say about the reduced limit then it might be people disregarding the lower limit and 'carrying on as before' or it could be that they are travelling within the limit but due to hills or junctions, sound like they are travelling faster than they are.

It would need a proper investigation if this action is necessary and justified.

I do like that they are at least not 'just calling for a camera' but calling for a SID/VAS which at least is 'only' £2000 and reminds and encourages all travellers of the speed limit and that they are currently above it. They do work for this and people do change behaviours and think about what they are doing - choice to change or alter ... :)

The problem I agree totally is that 'speed' has been so rammed down the MoPublic's throats that they 'think' speed before what real road safety is about.

If road users are being highly and specifically intolerant of each other then this needs to be addressed.
The presence of a police car/person occasionally and at varying times would do wonders to remind drivers and riders about how to travel safely and properly.

The concept that 'local people' ought to tell the Council/Road Safety Engineers what is required is frankly appalling but I can understand how misguided people have become.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 23:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Claire- the bit of road in the article is further toward Nuneaton ,on the other side of the B4102. If you look at the photo on the article ,and go into Streetview, the green fence ( around a power substation) is in shot with the group . The old :40: limit used to start north of the B4102. But again on Streetview ( from my experience a normal situation around this junction) ,there's a lot of parked vehicles on the opposite side of the road. Again on Streetview, it shows traffic in the middle of the road around the junction area . As for Police doing anything, that's not something likely to happen. The local force is more depleted than ever. The only enforcement of anything is when a pressure group kicks up enough for a few PCSO to head out into a PC :20: area when no kids are around ,to enforce. And in the :20:, where there's constant threats of enforcement, I see no enforcement of bully tailgaiting on those that attempt to comply with the limit. Little wonder that a few driving schools now carry posters in the rear window "tailgait cam fitted". The welcome signs to NBBC area carry a welcome. I'm now wondering if the phrase "road courtesy does not exist and offences are not policed in this Borough" should be added to the sign .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 14:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Update on this one. The road had big 30 signs painted on it, the residents still park will nilly and complain about constant speeding. Cue another article crowing about speed checks ,on a road with ( to my knowledge) few accident problems ,and where a lot of the time the width is reduced because of poor parking( by same residents) . Apparently PCSOs went out and checked over 140 vehicles to catch only two . During the same period I recieved a lot of warnings from NHW about burglaries ibn this area . More shades of Peter E's avature :-?