Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 22:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
It's like badger culling. Lots of noise about how it won't work but, until you try it, there is no proof.

I know what you're saying Malcolm but, according to some expert I saw interviewed on TV the other day, it has been tried and was ineffective. (1980s I think she said). But I digress. .

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's my answer to the folk who are worried about poor wounded badgers crawing away to die slowly. Use one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

:twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Malcolm, can you get a roof mounted one for dealing with Community Speedwatch :D . In all fairness ,they are pointing something at passing cars . :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 03:04 
Site Admin

Car parks are there for the community, which part of commuters are not a part of the community?
If the car parks need to be bigger to allow for commuters then what is the problem with this? There maybe a physical limitation in some areas I appreciate but there will be areas somewhere.
Perhaps all railway and bus stations need larger car parks. Why are there no car parks for bus & coach stations? :)
IS life always about going to one extreme and then flip back towards another ? Is this what is going on here.... currently cycling is seriously politically popular so receives favourable plans and systems.
Drivers already feeling go at are fighting back and feel ignored and abused.
This political favouritism toward cycling is contributing greatly to the segregation of the travelling society. Hardly a proper way for the Councils & Political arena/s to behave.

But should we 'try it and see' just because there is a belief in an idea might be good?
I know Malcolm you are talking about badger culling (of which I am no expert and have heard of very conflicting views to this idea from both camps), but can this thought, not be applied to many things? Should there not always be clear proven benefits for the majority, before action is granted? This takes it away from 'belief' to knowledge and scientific proof. Some small trials ought to prove the already collated understanding after extensive research, surely? If it doesn't then a great understanding and knowledge is required before any action is taken.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 22:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
But some councils are looking at increased parking facilities. ours has been contemplating reducing the council employees facilities at the rear of Town hall to increase public parking. its about income I suspect. But nearby, Birmingham provide blue badge holders with free parking, whilst ours gives those who use dedicated spaces an hour extra. Our council is up in arms against folks being allowed into the pedestrian area and wants County to lengthen the time before the bollards are dropped. I suspect it's a move to get folks to use the pay car parks. And if proof is needed that theirs a dislike of disabled parking charges- around the town centre, it's hard to find a space to park with blue badge exemption on double yellows. Next move ,from local paper is to try and get local council parking wardens .
But back to the pedestrian area- the exemptions are cyclists ( who ignore the one way system ), loading and disabled ( when the bollards are down .
I seem to remember one old beat SGT commenting on PCSO introduction as them being able to deal with dog fouling( now taken over by council ) and cycling offences. Last i saw ,we had PCSO patrolling our estate as BOTH our PC used to do .