Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing Speed Limits?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 
New User
New User

Does anyone know? A road nearby has recently been changed from a 40 mph to a 30 mph by just changing the signs at the entry and exit of the road plus the removal of all the 40 mph signs in between. The road is only partially residential as approximately a third of it is in the countryside. The street lighting is also intermittent with the lampposts in groups situated either on one side of the road or the other and as part of the road is in the countryside, those lampposts are obscured by trees etc. So during the day, you cannot see them unless you know they are there. The groups of lampposts are within 200 m or so of each other albeit not on the same side.
As there is a distinctive change in surroundings plus the obscurity of the lampposts, should the speed limit only apply to the residential part of the road or should the non-residential part have 30 mph signs on posts?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 15:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Lampposts can be on either side of the road - they don't need to be on both sides so long as they are at 200-yard intervals.

Whether from your description the speed limit is justified or not is another question entirely - do you have a Google StreetView link or location?

:welcome: btw

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 15:38 
New User
New User

Thank you for your information. The road in question is Shipston Road (A3400) in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire between Banbury Road (A422) and Trinity Way (A4390). I believe the post code is going to be around CV37 7LW.
The whole of that section of Shipston Road is a designated 30mph and changes at the roundabout to a 40mph. The road that runs across the roundabout, the A4390 is designated as 50mph.
I look forward to hearing from you.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 15:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Here's a view of the southern end of the road. I would say the 30 limit is completely inappropriate there.

It does become more built-up further north, and I would say the transition to a 30 limit would be appropriate around here where there's a Pelican crossing and development begins on both sides of the road.

One of the anomalies of the current speed limit signing system is that you can have a completely undeveloped road which is still a :30: by virtue of having street lights.

Provided the correct initial :30: signs are in place, I would say the fact that street lights are obscured by trees would be very unlikely to have any bearing on the enforceability of the limit.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 16:39 
New User
New User

Thank you for your advice and comments.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 16:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep, know it well and serves as, (yet), another example of a :30: in a place which looks absolutely nothing like other 30mph limits I could show which deserve to be a 30. As I keep saying, no consistency whatsoever between places and environment :loco:

:welcome: Road User..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 22:56 

No doubt this is one of the places where the police objected to the lowering of the limit but were overruled by those road safety experts at the W.I.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 23:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

graball wrote:
No doubt this is one of the places where the police objected to the lowering of the limit but were overruled by those road safety experts at the W.I.

Yes, this happened on quite a few roads in Warwickshire. The :50: limit on the B4100 (former A41) is utterly ludicrous, although no doubt weepej would approve.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 23:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Forget the B4100 -we had similar suggestions on the major A444, from Nuneaton to Coventry. Police objected, the County Councillors objected, but ONE council officer wanted the section reduced . She lost most of the road. It was made 50 for a short stretch in Warks ,and NSL till M6/J3, then 50 to Coventry. Other side roads were reduced, with side roads still staying at NSL . Then in the next county elections- the ruling party that let Council Officers walk over them ,got P45. No vote of confidence for the councillors that let officers decide council policy over elected folks.