The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 20:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:16 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Hmm, interesting...

Quote:
Plans to increase speeds for some lorries were announced today by the Government.

The current speed limit on single carriageways for heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) over 7.5 tonnes is 40mph. Under the proposals, this could be increased to 45mph or 50mph, with any change likely to affect around 280,000 vehicles.

The limit for smaller HGVs - between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes - is 50mph and this will remain unchanged.

The freight industry says a higher limit for the bigger lorries will help growth by improving journey times, cutting congestion and reducing costs to business and the cost of goods people buy.

It could also reduce the number of collisions caused by other road users overtaking slower-moving lorries.

Consultation on the proposals will run until February 1.

Roads Minister Stephen Hammond said: "The Government is committed to doing everything it can to improve conditions for economic growth."

He added that a higher speed limit was likely to lead to more than £30 million a year in benefits for businesses through quicker journeys and reduced congestion.

But he went on: "I want to make sure we have carefully considered the evidence of all of the effects on the economy, environment and - of course - road safety before we make a decision. I welcome views from all."
:clap:

No doubt BRAKE will be foaming at the month :roll:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 21:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I seem to rember a spate of HGV accidents when 56 was brought in. One transport manager put it down to drivers boredom .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 00:16 

And not before time, in my view! I'd be very interested to see the effects when this comes in. The majority of "near misses" I see on NSL single carriageway rural roads are as a result of an ill-judged overtake, and most of these involve someone passing an HGV (and a fair few cars stuck behind it). I honestly believe this wil lsave lives.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 16:57 
User

PeterE wrote:
Hmm, interesting...

Quote:
Plans to increase speeds for some lorries were announced today by the Government.

The current speed limit on single carriageways for heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) over 7.5 tonnes is 40mph. Under the proposals, this could be increased to 45mph or 50mph, with any change likely to affect around 280,000 vehicles.

The limit for smaller HGVs - between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes - is 50mph and this will remain unchanged.

The freight industry says a higher limit for the bigger lorries will help growth by improving journey times, cutting congestion and reducing costs to business and the cost of goods people buy.

It could also reduce the number of collisions caused by other road users overtaking slower-moving lorries.

Consultation on the proposals will run until February 1.

Roads Minister Stephen Hammond said: "The Government is committed to doing everything it can to improve conditions for economic growth."

He added that a higher speed limit was likely to lead to more than £30 million a year in benefits for businesses through quicker journeys and reduced congestion.

But he went on: "I want to make sure we have carefully considered the evidence of all of the effects on the economy, environment and - of course - road safety before we make a decision. I welcome views from all."
:clap:

No doubt BRAKE will be foaming at the month :roll:

Oh absolutely......especially if it's the wrong time of, er, wot you sed. :evil:

In truth though, I do think the 40 mph limit for large lorries on single carriageway roads was too low, so I support the idea of an increase.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 17:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:

Sort of rules Brake & SCP out then :scratchchin: