Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 14:19 
Site Admin

I happened upon this article :
DIY Zebra Crossing | Motoring Issues - Car News Jun 2012 - MOTORING ISSUES

Parents in Kingston-upon-Thames were fed up with their children having to cross a busy road to get to school.
Their campaign for a zebra crossing to be installed was rejected on the basis of cost; indeed, the Highways Agency claims that a basic zebra crossing costs £114,000 to install.

So the Environmental Transport Association has come up with a neat idea -- instead of wasting £114,000 on an expensive pedestrian crossing, why not build your own for £50?

The pop-up zebra crossing is made from lino offcuts, drainpipes and two orange balloons.

To watch a video of the crossing being created, click here.
and was pretty gobsmacked.
1) for how 'costs' are escalating out of all proportion
2) appreciate the frustration for a 'simple' solution being incapable by the local authority :scratchchin:
... or is it all a spoof ? ;)
3) the approval by the authority that they encourage and allow such an action - what a dangerous precedent to set !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 15:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is the same as putting up a fake speed camera. Irresponsible idiocy by well meaning fools.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
This is the same as putting up a fake speed camera. Irresponsible idiocy by well meaning fools.
Precicely! I’m beginning to wonder what’s worse; a bad driver or a stupid do-gooder.

These things should be placed appropriately, I would have thought, just like the traffic calming islands I see are deliberately placed at the back of the bus so that a 'Bus Stop' is just enough in front so as to stop anyone overtaking where the bus actually stops.

Did I explain that well? Ah, whatever. You know what I mean.. :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 16:44 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Discussed on SABRE here (in public area).

The highway professionals reckon the actual cost of a standard zebra is in the region of £27k - £35k, which seems credible to me.

Don't forget that a zebra crossing needs a power supply on both sides of the road.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 21:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
PeterE wrote:
Don't forget that a zebra crossing needs a power supply on both sides of the road.

And a lot of political pull to get one installed. Years back, our residents association had a request from parents to get one installed on a :30: road, as the volume of traffic made it difficult for kids +parents to cross in mornings. Our County councillor took it up and came back defeated. It,apparently needed a certain level of accidents before one could be installed .
.One has been installed and the road is now a :20: . No more accidents, jst a drop in limit -crazy. :loco: