Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 05:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Road deaths rise in 2011
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 19:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

http://www.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/reported-road-casualties-gb-main-results-2011/

Quote:
  • The annual number of people killed in road accidents reported to the police has increased, by 3 per cent, from 1,850 in 2010 to 1,901 in 2011. This is the first increase since 2003.
  • The number of people reported killed or seriously injured has also increased by 2 per cent to 25,023 from 24,510 in 2010 – the first annual increase since 1994.
  • The total number of casualties (slight injuries, serious injuries and fatalities) in road accidents reported to the police in Great Britain in 2011 continued to fall, by 2 per cent, from 208,648 in 2010 to 203,950 in 2011.
  • Total reported child casualties (ages 0-15) have continued to fall, by 0.5 per cent in 2011 to 19,474. The number of children killed or seriously injured also fell, decreasing by 4 per cent to 2,412 in 2011, from 2,502 in 2010.
  • Vehicle traffic levels are broadly stable after falling for 3 years. The overall casualty rate for accidents reported to the police per billion vehicle miles continued to fall to 666 per billion vehicle miles, compared to 681 casualties per billion vehicle miles in 2010 but the killed or seriously injured rate increased to 82 per billion vehicle miles.

Disappointing that the headline number has shown a slight increase, although it's still 14% below 2009 and 40% below 2006.

No doubt the likes of BRAKE will be seizing upon this news as justification for installing more speedcams and stupid limits :x

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 08:03 

Interesting to see that although the casualty rate dropped, the death rate rose. Could this mean that accidents are happening at higher speeds....maybe more people driving at the limit now, instead of adapting their speed to what is a safe speed...maybe too many sheep driving safely by matching two numbers...one on the speedo and one on the side of the road...after all...it's only speeding that kills....

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 09:09 
Site Admin

Certainly for a prolonged recession it seems unusual to see the rise occur but there was a period where we had 'officially' climbed, so maybe that has some significance. I do expect figures to climb as we exit the recession as this drop has been driven by the recession - as we all travel less far, less often, and are so exposed to less danger (overall you understand).
It might just be a series of unusual deaths - the M5 major accident might a s small unusual contribution to the figures ...
There had been a large increase of pedestrian deaths too in last years figures so that too might be adding to the drop.
Needs more study.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 

Quote:
There had been a large increase of pedestrian deaths too in last years figures so that too might be adding to the drop

Pedestrian deaths up 12% in 2011....what's happening with these pedestrians? Too much cotton wool deadening their sense of survival perhaps?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
graball wrote:
Quote:
There had been a large increase of pedestrian deaths too in last years figures so that too might be adding to the drop

Pedestrian deaths up 12% in 2011....what's happening with these pedestrians? Too much cotton wool deadening their sense of survival perhaps?

From my observations, if it were not for anticipation by drivers ,this figure might well be higher . Pedestrianus textus is a good example. As is Ped on mobile, brain in neutral , eyes seeing only the words in earpiece.It's like the words of the old song about cigarettes "A man is a monkey with one in his face" - replace ciggies with mobile ,and we get the same effect .
Or is it those who just like to play poker with cars, hoping that a driver will not call their bluff for fear of an expensive claim ? Or perhaps ,it's time to have speed limits for pedestrians. Well ,it's a well known fact that speed kills, so slow them down and accident rate will drop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Cameras switched off. Deaths go up. Speed enforcement reduced noticeably. Recession is still biting. Not all the deaths can be due to mechanical failure/failure to maintain vehicles can they? How much did the very cold winter contribute?

Main change is actually in speed enforcement so perhaps the benefit is people are just a bit more careful than when they think they can get away with things? Is there any evidence to suggest to prove the reverse and it is just random noise? Have average speeds on roads increased?

Has the average age of vehicles on the road increased? Or average safety rating reduced? Is there a group that is suddenly showing many more accidents eg reps working longer hours.

I've always been wary of the KSI figure as the serious injury definition can be fiddled with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 22:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
teabelly wrote:

I've always been wary of the KSI figure as the serious injury definition can be fiddled with.

FIDDLED- there's been a large group of composers(AKA SCP)orchestrating the violin section ( AKA the fiddle) . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 22:49 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I hardly think that an increase of 2.8% in the headline fatalities figure, against a background of substantial falls in the preceding years, can be regarded as statistically significant.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed