The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 14:01 
Site Admin

Transport Secretary Justine Greening announced today - here
DfT - Transport Secretary Justine Greening announced today wrote:
Government slashes motoring red tape

Drivers are to be released from reams of red tape currently required by government, Transport Secretary Justine Greening announced today.

As a result of the Road Transport Red Tape Challenge – the government wide process to get rid of unnecessary, burdensome and overcomplicated regulation - the Department for Transport is:
Scrapping the regulation requiring motorists to hold a paper counterpart to their driving licence by 2015 – saving drivers up to £8m.
Improving the regulation surrounding the notification process for vehicles that are not in use on the road (Statutory Off Road Notification or SORN). Once drivers have notified the DVLA that their vehicle is SORN, they will no longer have the burden of annual SORN renewal.
Only issuing hard-copies of V5C vehicle registration certificates for fleet operators when needed, with the potential to be rolled out to private motorists.
Introducing a limited exemption from drivers’ hours rules so that those who also drive as Territorial Army reservists in their own time can continue to do so.

Following a vigorous process of challenge, both by the public and within Whitehall, a total of 142 road transport regulations will now be scrapped or improved.

Justine Greening said; “Motorists shouldn’t have to keep numerous bits of paper just to prove they can drive and have bought insurance – we live in digital age and we need to embrace that.
“Reducing the number of rules and regulations in our life is absolutely vital to removing barriers to economic growth and increasing individual freedoms. This whole process just proves that there’s so much sitting on our statute books that at the very least needs a good spring clean or can be scrapped entirely.”

Business and Enterprise Minister Mark Prisk said:
“I'm delighted that so many motoring regulations will be scrapped or improved, particularly those that affect business.
“The Red Tape Challenge has built up real momentum since it was launched in April. Overall, of over 1,200 regulations considered so far, we have agreed to scrap or improve well over 50 per cent.
“We have already published regulations covering 12 themes, and there are 13 themes to come, so there remains huge scope for reducing the burden of regulation on business and individuals even further.”

Other proposed changes to road transport regulations include:
Removing the need for an insurance certificate. The Department for Transport will work with the insurance industry on removing the need for motorists to have to hold an insurance certificate.
Abolishing the requirement for drivers to prove they have insurance when applying for tax meaning 600,000 more people will be able to tax their car online. This has been made possible by new checks of existing databases for insurance under new Continuous Insurance Enforcement rules. The DVLA’s records are compared regularly with the Motor Insurance Database (MID) to identify registered keepers of vehicles that appear to have no insurance.
We will look at experience in other countries on driver Certificates of Professional Competence (CPC) - the qualification for professional bus, coach and lorry drivers. In particular, to see if we could remove the need for some sectors, such as farmers who drive stock to market, from needing a CPC.
Local Authorities will now have to ensure business interests are properly considered as part of any future proposed Workplace Parking Levy scheme. They must show they have properly and effectively consulted local businesses, have addressed any proper concerns raised and secured support from the local business community.
Abolishing the regulations on the treatment of lost property on buses. Bus companies currently have to wait 48 hours before they can throw away perishable items left on the bus.
On the face of it this is most welcome news. Certainly I can see a great sensible benefit to the SORN change of 'declare once' and then only notify of a change - finally some common sense ! :)
I can see that taxing a car without the need for the insurance paper certificate is pointless if a system tells them already that i am insured but I'd still need that paper document if the database is not yet up to date and I have just changed my status.
Checking when the insurance company informs the database will become very important.
Does this mean that insurance companies will have to tighten up their timings for telling the MID too - interesting.
Also this was will one be able to buy Car tax without insurance - ever ?
Might one be refused car tax if the database is not yet up to date and you trying to buy car tax online ? I can see some hassles with this but I dare say they will be overcome and we will all be charged extra so that they can pay for better software - that ought to have worked properly in the first place !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 15:42 
User

The software works properly.
It is only as good as the data in: Garbage in, Garbage out.
That's if the data is even input.
The worst time for MID errors or no information is after a renewal or alteration.
As for not having to have insurance to tax a vehicle....sorry, I see that that is because no need to have a certificate would cause problems with renewing tax in post offices....which means that the PO may have to check it...
I think the phrase: Beware Greeks bearing gifts should be considered.....
Try looking for the back door to other legislation/regulation/control.....don't forget, this government has been infiltrated by watermelons.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 03:40 
Site Admin

I didn't read it, that you won't be given an insurance doc / certificate at all, but just that you will no longer be required to carry one .... so if you chose to then you 'can' still. So if I need one due to a change then yes I can still and need to have one but if it is just a standard renewal etc then it can be more automated ? Insurance Co's and people will take as per usual ages to change so this will probably carry on for years before it is made permanent .... perhaps ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 09:39 

VOSA are already leading the way with their new "home made" MOT certificate! It looks awful, but saves a lot of money. Just black and white, done on whatever PC printer they happen to have at the MOT station. The real record is, of course, the computer database. Only thing is, (and it goes for tax too), when I'm stood in the road outside the seller's house with a wad of cash, looking to buy a second hand car that's "taxed and tested for 12 months, mate", how am I going to interrogate the appropriate databases? Will I need a Smart Phone and a good signal? Am I going to walk away and risk loosing the bargain of the century while I check it all out? As a private sale, I have very limited comeback if the deal goes sour after I've parted with my hard-earned. I'd maybe have the satisfaction of grassing him up to the authorities, but Icould see me loosing my wad!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 21:18 
User

Sad that once again the chance has been missed to put the name of the OWNER of a vehicle on the V5 as well as the person responsible for taxing the vehicle.

I could still steal a car and apply for a V5 after notifying the local Police that the car is the subject of an ownership dispute. The Police will not wish to get involved, calling it a civil rather than a criminal matter. DVLA will issue me a V5 despite the protestations of the cars owner as all they wish to be concerned with is collecting revenue. After getting the V5 I can then sell the car I have stolen. Ker-ching!

This happened to me 20 years ago and the Police will tend to come down on whoever has possession of a vehicle in such matters.

Infuriatingly, it is still going on as a recent letter to Practical Classics magazine explained a couple of months back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 03:55 
Site Admin

We are clearly being encouraged to go online for all sorts of checking and relying wholly on someone's database, and the information therein. The fact that I have to pay for this 'service' is yet another way that others are profiteering from the motorist.
it would be good if a free service in addition to the DVLA could register your vehicle for free and to have your name associated with it until you notify them of the new persons details. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 06:00 
Site Admin

A good point. I do tend to run an AA check prior to all purchases, above a certain figure. Perhaps prior to all purchases we will just have to verify the MOT certificate, so in fact no MOT certificate will need to be handed over ?
Same looks likely too for the road fund licence. However how long before we should bother with any paperwork? After all if it isn't on the database it doesn't exist right ?
When they do these silly systems they seem to forget real-life and seem to have such a simplistic belief in life and forget all the scenarios that will occur!
All they end up doing is going back to what they had in the beginning only often with bigger problems than they had in the first place, along with more vulnerability and spent a massive sum in the process ! (... and at our expense and the loss of ever greater privacy and freedom!)
Perhaps askingn them how 'we' are supposed to verify details is another way to mess up the 2nd hand car market?
Or maybe that deliberately leaves a hole for enterprises to fill.
Trouble is that all it really does is double up the whole system as there are always reasons to verify things in paper and things online. :(