It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 02:41 
Site Admin

This is Somerset - Western Daily Press here
Western Daily Press wrote:
Speed camera group take to the road
Saturday, September 10, 2011 Western Daily Press

An army of volunteers will be pointing speed trap guns at errant motorists across the West today SAT in a ‘day of action’ crackdown on speeding cars.

Community speed watch volunteers across south Somerset and Wiltshire have all been trained to wield the speed guns, and note down the registration plates of motorists exceeding the speed limit.

While they have no powers to pull over speeding motorists and issue tickets, they log numbers and the police issue warning letters to drivers to say they have been clocked.

If they repeatedly get spotted driving too fast, then the police can fine them on the basis of three spots.

The Community Speed Watch volunteer scheme has been building in towns and villages across Wiltshire and Somerset, with volunteers getting out onto the roads monthly. But today sees the first day when groups will be out at the same time, meaning that as many as 50 teams will be clocking drivers across Wiltshire alone.
“We have a total of 50 volunteer groups from different parishes throughout Wiltshire that have been taking part in Community Speed Watch,” said co-ordinator Elizabeth Ngero (CORR).
“We hope this day of action will help educate drivers and make them think of the potential consequences that are associated with speed.”
“It is important that motorists appreciate that their vehicle does not stop as soon as they see a hazard. The faster they are travelling the longer it will take to stop and avoid a potential accident,” she added.

Speeding motorists were also warned that even outside Wiltshire and south Somerset they could still be clocked – the day of action is also taking place in Devon and Cornwall and Suffolk.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 22:49 
User

I wasn't aware the police could fine people on the basis of three spots? Does that mean points too?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 22:59 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

DoktorMandrake wrote:
I wasn't aware the police could fine people on the basis of three spots? Does that mean points too?

No, it's nonsense. All it means is that, if they're local, the police may target them.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have some sympathy for this. Just recently there has been a complete and utter head case who has gone flat out from the top of our cul de sac in the first two gears. I mentioned it to my neighbour some days later and he thought the same as me.

He witnessed the one occasion and said he over-cooked the turn at the end too, so thank god there was nothing turning into our close.

It's a big BMW and although I have no idea what speed it would be doing on the blood line in 2nd it sounded Damn quick! But realistically we have no idea what could curb this maniac's behaviour.

Tell the local police and they do what exactly? My neighbour said he knows the household and it is a visiter.

As ever, the speed cameras are not catching dangerous drivers like this, but they'll catch the the likes of me one day for a small safe indiscretion no doubt..

I should add I'm not saying these watchers know what they're doing and doubtless will freak out safe drivers. But if the neighbours in my road wanted to do something about a truly dangerous driver I think we'd find we are impotent; hence the "some sympathy".

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 14:31 
User

I think there is a difference, Tone. What you described is clearly dangerous. Someone using inappropriate speed, failing to take into account their surroundings and the potential hazards as well as not being fully in control of their vehicle. The speed watchers make no such distinction. You are either over the limit or you are not. Despite never exceeding the limit ever ever ever I expect I will also some day get done for a small, safe indiscretion. These sort of people are the reason why. They get hysterical, mistakenly believe that speed alone or the reduction of it makes for safer roads and they make their voice heard. That means more cameras and an enforcement policy that targets speed alone. I would never underestimate the busybody. Nor would I sympathise with them. I hope it rains everyday they are out and one day they have an epiphany and do something worth while with the one life they have.

Yesterday I went to view a winter hack and was riding roads I hadn't ridden for a year or two. I came close to a 200 mile round trip. Bike turned out to be a shed. Not even worth the monkey the, admittedly sound, chap was asking. However it struck me how many of the limits were much lower than I remembered them. I seldom pay that much attention to speed limits. I tend to use them more as a guide. Just one element in determining the approproate speed. Some of these limits were incredibly low. I mean I remember them, like most limits in this country, being set too low as it was but now they are taking the piss. On some stretches I would be in danger of losing my licence for navigating roads and lanes at the speed I always have. There were arbitrary stretches of 30 that used to be NSL (confusing and ponntially damaging to one's licence), 40 sections that were fine as NSL for decadces, and likewise my current bugbear - NSLs all of a sudden transformed into a 50 limit for no reason what so ever. On a fairly dry day like yesterday pretty much all limits, aside from those in built up areas, were redundant or completely unsuitable. The speed watchers, speed campaigners and other similar busybody types have clearly been at work, it seems. It is a shame. My heart sinks year on year when I see limts being dropped all over the place. Just means the margin by which I exceed them that much greater and I am more likely to get into serious trouble instead of a ticking off. Well, if I ever exceeded the limit. Which I, obviously, never do. So, no, I have no time for people like that. They fail to take into account all but their own paranoia. Like I said, I hope it rains.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 17:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DoktorMandrake wrote:
The speed watchers make no such distinction. You are either over the limit or you are not. Despite never exceeding the limit ever ever ever I expect I will also some day get done for a small, safe indiscretion. These sort of people are the reason why. They get hysterical, mistakenly believe that speed alone or the reduction of it makes for safer roads and they make their voice heard. That means more cameras and an enforcement policy that targets speed alone. I would never underestimate the busybody. Nor would I sympathise with them. I hope it rains everyday they are out and one day they have an epiphany and do something worth while with the one life they have.
I agree 100%! I won’t hold my breath on the last bit though. :wink: I think they are fanatical, in that they believe their work aids safety. But this madman I describe is just an accident waiting to happen with a total disregard for others.

DoktorMandrake wrote:
I seldom pay that much attention to speed limits. I tend to use them more as a guide. Just one element in determining the approproate speed.
Me too. IMO it shouldn’t be called a speed limit but a speed guide for precisely the reason it can never know what is safe. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if, on an identical trip to someone abiding by the limit at all times, my overall average is lower yet my speed is naughtily higher in some places - but much lower where unsafe and where it really matters.

This is why the law-abiding ‘I never speed’ driving makes a total mockery of road safety. I will be under the limit in places because I am wise enough to see the danger instead of the dumb limit, whereas 'the fool' will not. But I'll be the one who gets labelled dangerous in places for speeding and the non-speeder will carry on almost with impunity ploughing through areas and situations always at the limit where possible. :x I'll have safe drivers over slow drivers any day!

I hope you didn’t get me wrong or I implied I am ‘on their side’ Doc; I think they are totally misguided! But if I try to play devils advocate for a minute, ("some sympathy"), maybe they think that by attacking speeders it will inculcate a driving style which will spill over into our everyday life and side roads etc.? I don’t know. Maybe I should have started it as a separate thread called “What can you realistically do with a potential homicidal driver in your midst?”

I have mentioned it before but there’s a road by me, currently still a NSL, which although I cannot see I hear a biker regularly going along there at a certain time of the day red-lining it through the first three gears between one island and the next. It sounds like an R6 or =, so I’ll leave the math to you what that approximates to as a fellow biker. As a result, following complaints from neighbours, I heard a while ago that a speed camera is going to be erected along that stretch :doh:

So then, that biker will see it if he is savvy enough but what of others? Well, if I didn’t have prior knowledge, it will catch people like me out who overtake along there briefly hitting ‘whatever speed' because I don’t look at my speedo to overtake and before long find I am done instead of the dangerous rider being caught.

I hope I wasn’t taken wrong but what do you do with a guy like that when people, (neighbours), see a dangerous driver/rider and genuinely want to curb real dangerous behaviour? I fear all they have is the threat of a speeding violation on the Wish List of something better sadly. Did I put it better this time? I hope so. :)

DoktorMandrake wrote:
The speed watchers, speed campaigners and other similar busybody types have clearly been at work, it seems. It is a shame. My heart sinks year on year when I see limts being dropped all over the place. Just means the margin by which I exceed them that much greater and I am more likely to get into serious trouble instead of a ticking off. Well, if I ever exceeded the limit. Which I, obviously, never do. So, no, I have no time for people like that. They fail to take into account all but their own paranoia. Like I said, I hope it rains.
Again, I agree 100% but at the same time I can’t rule out that some of them, (one or two maybe :roll: ), may feel frustrated at these maniacs using an inappropriate speed for the conditions and impotent to do anything more constructive. So there’s a backlash which manifests itself in misguided individuals or groups doing what they think is helping the situation :loco:

Put another way, I don’t imagine they got their idea from people doing a few mph over the limit but from the minority of idiots spoiling it for the safe majority. I see these speed watchers rather like a parent smacking their son because their son smacked another kid. While greater fools watch on - and learn how to smack... :banghead:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 18:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For Greenshed's benefit, just because the Western Daily Press report that three sightings may result in a fine doesn't make it fact. We still await your citation of the case you insist exists where a driver has been convicted of speeding based solely on the say-so of CSW civilians.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 19:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

DoktorMandrake wrote:
However it struck me how many of the limits were much lower than I remembered them. I seldom pay that much attention to speed limits. I tend to use them more as a guide. Just one element in determining the approproate speed. Some of these limits were incredibly low. I mean I remember them, like most limits in this country, being set too low as it was but now they are taking the piss. On some stretches I would be in danger of losing my licence for navigating roads and lanes at the speed I always have. There were arbitrary stretches of 30 that used to be NSL (confusing and ponntially damaging to one's licence), 40 sections that were fine as NSL for decadces, and likewise my current bugbear - NSLs all of a sudden transformed into a 50 limit for no reason what so ever. On a fairly dry day like yesterday pretty much all limits, aside from those in built up areas, were redundant or completely unsuitable.

Yes, exactly mirrors my own experience. With the exception of genuine urban 30s and untouched NSLs, pretty much every road where the speed limit has been reviewed in the past fifteen years is now underposted by 10, 20, 30 or even 40 mph. 30s are routinely extended 400 yards or more out into open countryside, and long stretches of rural road made 40s because they have a handful of properties along them. I was just driving along an unfamiliar B-road the other day, where the 30s should really be 40s, and the 40 between them should be an NSL. Yet these limits are in most places routinely ignored, so the historic role of speed limits as providing a kind of general guide as to the road environment has been thrown out of the window.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 20:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The following is relevant to this thread:

RobinXe wrote:
For Greenshed's benefit, just because the Western Daily Press report that three sightings may result in a fine doesn't make it fact. We still await your citation of the case you insist exists where a driver has been convicted of speeding based solely on the say-so of CSW civilians.

According to a fairly reputable member of the PePiPoo forum, folks not connected to the police service have never gathered evidence that has resulted with a notice of intended prosecution: "the logistics of implementing anyone external to the police service to enforce speed (that which culminates in a NIP), would be considerable, there being no regulatory foundation or infrastructure in place.". "... the only people you will currently find inside speed enforcement vehicle actively engaged in speed enforcement, are regular police officers or civilian police staff, not contractors, contractors are not used, they never have been" - greenshed's alias on the PePiPoo forum agreed with this.

(and for greenshed's further benefit: "Civilian police" != "police". Real police have powers and authority that "civilian police" do not, it is a critical distinction)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 21:53 
User

Ah, Tone. I think it is I who have been misunderstood or caused you to feel that I had misinterpreted you or believed you to be somewhat sympathetic towards speed watchers and their cause. I was merely stating that they get no sympathy from me. Yes, maybe, if we all drove at 10mph everywhere there would be a hell of a lot less accidents and the death toll would drop significantly, but roads for me are as much about enjoyment as they are A to B. They are as much about thinking and using your brain (essential) as they are a conduit for transportation. There is an element of risk to everything, it is how you manage that risk and for me, merely sitting their collecting number plates of speeders to send them a letter is next to useless. We all know the risks and to use our roads we all accept them and should resolve to do whatever is in our power to minimise them, but merely slowing down is not the answer. Using speed appropriately and with intelligence is. It is about how someone drivers/rides, not whether they were travelling x number of mph over the limit. There is a time and place for the correct application of speed. Obviously, I agree, a cul-de-sac is not it. That goes without saying. So I understood your point about the way in which people feel powerless and how they react to such drivers.

Where abouts are you from? I hope that biker is not me! :lol: I do ride something similar but you'd be into triple figures red lining it in 3rd. That is not really my style. I am not an angel but these days I tend to save triple figures for the continent (if I have to do a bit of m/way or certain other roads in France/Spain can be navigated comfortably in truiple figures). Where the punishments are less severe. I do have the standard can on my bike too. Much as I love the sound of a something a bit meatier, it can give the impression the bike is travelling a lot faster than it actually is, pisses people off and makes you slightly more noticable to plod. Case in point - on my commute across London there is a section of dual carriageway that is 30mph. It could be at least 50, but given the area, 40 would be a good compromise. Obviously in our safety-obsessed speed kills culture this is set artificially low at 30 mph (I am thankful it is not 20!) As such it is regularly flouted. Not by any great margin. Maybe 10 odd mph, by just about everyone. As such the police are regularly there. They wear hi-viz, mercifully, giving advanced warning of their presence (it is a straight bit of road, they wait at the top in dayglow yellow. I like to think this is to give people a sporting chance). On my old bike with the can on they would raise the speed gun at me doing 29mph as soon as they felt I was within range. On my bike as it is with the factory exhaust I can do considerably more (over the speed limit and the ACPO's 10% +2) and they leave me alone. Back tpo the rascal near you - I don't tend to redline my bike much so doubt it is me. That is for the track. It has a change indicator on it and I think I have only ever set it off twice. I'm no slouch but have no need to be bouncing it off the rev limiter either!

I am always sad to hear of a speed camera being erected anywhere. Hopefully it is just hearsay. I never check my speedo when overtaking either. In fact, I don't check it much. A quick glance if I know there is a scamera about but I can tell my the revs/engine note/gear what speed I am doing fairly accurately and more importantly how much time I have to react if a situation develops. That being the case I can find myself over the limit and have to slow for cameras. I am more aware of the speedo on roads I don't know and these days if I am off my manor I am wary of overtaking. That hedge can be concealing a speed camera and cause me to brake hard. Not what I want to be doing when I have picked my moment to get round someone.

I would be interested to see the outcome of the average speeds of you vs someone ridgidly sticking to the limits. I also 'roll on' when safe to do so and occasionally have some numpty sat right up my arse as I am going under the limit when I believe it is the safest option. If in doubt, I try to always slow down. Safe over slow is the way to go. That involves education and allowing people to think for themselves. No matter how slow a driver is, they can still be the one who pulls out on you and has you laid out in the morgue. Hardly very safe. Speed watchers fail to realise this. Slow does not equal safe.

Sympathy for the devil? :D I am not sure I'd like the driving style they'd seek to inculcate. Not that I am suggesting you would. I understand (if not condone) why the majority of speed watchers don the flourescent yellow bib and stand their looking throughly miserable engaging in what they must presume to be their civic duty, but I would rather people were trained and encouraged to drive well, rather than as you say, just to slow down.

Some of them I will concede probably are tackling what they see as problem drivers, but do they make any distinction between a driver merely exceeding the limit and one who is dangerous? Between how fast someone is going and how they are driving? Probably not. A lot of them, I would suggest, do not see a difference. To them going over the limit is dangerous and automatically makes you a bad driver or an accident waiting to happen.

I do however agree that maybe they did not get their ideas from people going a few mph over the limit but that is what they are enforcing. They are penalising or seeking to catch drivers exceeding the limit. I would assert that the vast majority of those they target are safe and sensible drivers.

PeterE wrote:
Yes, exactly mirrors my own experience. With the exception of genuine urban 30s and untouched NSLs, pretty much every road where the speed limit has been reviewed in the past fifteen years is now underposted by 10, 20, 30 or even 40 mph. 30s are routinely extended 400 yards or more out into open countryside, and long stretches of rural road made 40s because they have a handful of properties along them. I was just driving along an unfamiliar B-road the other day, where the 30s should really be 40s, and the 40 between them should be an NSL. Yet these limits are in most places routinely ignored, so the historic role of speed limits as providing a kind of general guide as to the road environment has been thrown out of the window.

It makes me wonder where it will all end. How low will they go? Don't even get me started on arbitrary 20 limits! I have also noticed extending 30mph zones out into the middle of nowhere - for what purpose? Do they hopnestly expect people to trundle along looking at fields and hedges at 30 mph when the road is safe for twice that in some cases? I have noticed that if there is more than one house on an NSL it will often be dropped to 40. These are on roads that as far as I am aware have no recorded accidents or certainly not from people entering/exiting their properties. I also concur that speed limits as an effective guide, their original intended purpose, I believe, is utterly redundant now. You are more likely to have to rely on other factors to determine speed. Unfortunately this constant lowering of limits makes potential criminals out of a lot of us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 01:03 
Site Admin

They fail to distinguish the difference between a motorist who is paying attention, concentrating and travelling appropriate to the conditions, to one that is travelling legally within the limit but potentially dangerously for the conditions.

We see this in action regularly now, when people (usually in front) fail to take any reaction and slow for the potential dangers that we may see and already be slowing for.
This alteration to behaviour and visual perception is a big negative effect to road safety. It also reduces the confidence level in drivers as they trust another to take over their responsibilities. This double negative infects has far reaching consequences in their driving ability.

No a CSW x 3 obs of speeding by a specific vehicle cannot result in a ticket (as already expressed). The Police could use that info to 'target' that vehicle.

Big Tone if that happened nr me I'd goto who they visit and ask what they think, (making them aware) and when he next visits request a friendly, but concerned chat if you cannot directly approach him/her. Failing this producing any resulting change, I'd approach them again ... and then I'd be talking to the Police in clear terms indeed. I keep an eye out and film the proceedings ensuring that there were two independent films from two different people of the same event and then take this to the police.
Any failure of them to act would see me taking it to the local media with the film and placing that up online ... although frankly I'd be surprised if I couldn't get the local cops to sort this out IF the personal approach had not worked initially. I might even point out to him that I'd video his next occurrence.
Have you ever seen him act differently when people are about ? I take it that he was not in some once in a lifetime emergency - not that 55 or so would be appropriate for the end of your road - or maybe not even possible ? depends on engine size etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 09:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DoktorMandrake wrote:
..but roads for me are as much about enjoyment as they are A to B.
Yes, I remember Paul saying that first, not long after I joined. Driving should be like food. It isn’t just to be fed, it is to be enjoyed as well.

DoktorMandrake wrote:
Where abouts are you from? I hope that biker is not me! :lol:
:lol: Na, unless you are mad and you don’t come across like that mate. I’m south of Brum. I think that biker is trying to to reach a new record getting to the north on A roads. As you say, having a noisy exhaust attracts attention, which it certainly has in his case. I can hear it 200 yards away and I am sheltered by houses, so I can only imagine what it sounds like to the residence next to the road; probably like being ringside at Brands Hatch. I expect they have to have their windows closed on summer nights to help block it out.

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Big Tone if that happened nr me I'd goto who they visit and ask what they think, (making them aware) and when he next visits request a friendly, but concerned chat if you cannot directly approach him/her. Failing this producing any resulting change, I'd approach them again ... and then I'd be talking to the Police in clear terms indeed. I keep an eye out and film the proceedings ensuring that there were two independent films from two different people of the same event and then take this to the police.
Any failure of them to act would see me taking it to the local media with the film and placing that up online ... although frankly I'd be surprised if I couldn't get the local cops to sort this out IF the personal approach had not worked initially. I might even point out to him that I'd video his next occurrence.
Have you ever seen him act differently when people are about ? I take it that he was not in some once in a lifetime emergency - not that 55 or so would be appropriate for the end of your road - or maybe not even possible ? depends on engine size etc.
I think it may have been closer to 65/70 mph Claire, it's a very meaty-sounding high performace model I believe. Sounds great, in the right place. He’s reaching the top speed past my house before breaking hard; makes my heart pound each time - waiting for the bang. I have yet to see who it is because I am in bed, so by the time I hear the launch I’ve got to find my specs and get up to pull the nets back - by which time he’s gone. My immediate neighbour works shifts, which is why he witnessed it. It’s always in the wee hours so at least it’s unlikely for someone to be walking about; unlikely but not impossible that is.

So I don’t know which household it is however my neighbour does and has said if it happens once more he’ll go and ‘have words’. Because of the randomness of occurrences it would be virtually impossible to keep vigil with a camera or expect other neighbours to stay up in readiness. My gut feeling is that anyone who knows someone who would drive like that, in that situation and manner, is unlikely to be open to criticism. I don’t know of course but I certainly wouldn't befriend anyone like that and imagine only an equally aggressive moron would.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread soz; I’ll put your suggestions to my neighbour when I see him next thanks. He’s got me as an ally if he needs. I'd be happy to go up there with him. :evil:

Add: Hec I’ve just realised this would make me part of a speed camera group, only without the camera. :whome: I like to think of it as a dangerous driving group; that rests easier with me. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 00:47 
Site Admin

BT your aside is not that off -topic ... in some ways it directly associated to it.

Without re-quoting a whole portion let me just be direct and play devils advocate here for a moment....

You have often stated that you will choose a speed appropriate to conditions as is right and proper to do so.
You have now added that this 'alleged' noisy care and possible / probable excessive speed, is before you awake and that there is no one about. (And please understand that I do not mean to upset you in any way).
No one wants anyone to behave in a reckless or dangerous manner ...

Let me pose a few questions :
What if the noise is only making the car go about 40 but sounds far louder ?
What if there is no danger of them coming into contact with anyone in any way ?
Could it just possibly be the fear of the potential danger and especially because the noise level implies great power, which maybe more disturbing than the actual reality, which by your own admission you have not seen for yourself ?

I am not suggesting that their action was good in any way ... but it is interesting to see how people become 'included' into a 'common purpose' when you have in reality, few confirmed facts, other than opinion and 'belief'.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 08:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
What if the noise is only making the car go about 40 but sounds far louder ?
Exhaust noise aside, there is the amplified Doppler effect from the vehicle itself, tyre noise etc., as it goes by. I have seen all other vehicles go at a reasonable speed up and down there and know what a reasonable speed is; how long it should take from one end to the other at a known 30mph. He does it in easily half the time it should take. If I know the gear ratios and tyre size I can calculate what the speed is for any given rpm in any gear, (done so with my bike), or I can ask my neighbour because he has a BMW of similar spec; the neighbour who witnessed it in fact.

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
What if there is no danger of them coming into contact with anyone in any way ?
Given that he wheel spins away and ended up out of control on the wrong side of the road as he tried to brake to turn left, I’m not sure I believe there was no threat or danger. It also isn’t so late at night that you wouldn’t get some stragglers coming back from a binge or shift workers etc. Unfortunately, with more and more two car families, there are quite a few cars always parked half on the pavement and half on the road making visibility down the stretch poor. I have been out late and encountered a fox dashing out from behind a parked car, although to be fair that’s usually on a Monday when the rubbish is put out. I have seen them on other days mind, attacking the remnants of a discarded KFC :x . Now while no-one cares about a fox it is possible that the driver may panic and swerve instead of hitting it into the middle of next week.

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Could it just possibly be the fear of the potential danger and especially because the noise level implies great power, which maybe more disturbing than the actual reality, which by your own admission you have not seen for yourself ?
Well, I have a somewhat noisy bike myself and know of this phenomenon but I go back to ratios. Regardless of whether my baffles are in or out I know when I hit the rev limiter in 1st I’m doing 55mph and so on... So I don’t think I’m being fooled into thinking it’s faster just because of the sound. I would be interested in what a top range BMW does in second gear flat out? Let’s say it is as low as 40mph, it is still too fast for the conditions, not to mention inconsiderate to the residents.

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I am not suggesting that their action was good in any way ... but it is interesting to see how people become 'included' into a 'common purpose' when you have in reality, few confirmed facts, other than opinion and 'belief'.
Well, that’s true. But we do have the fact that a car like that will be doing some considerable speed in a cul-de-sac with parked cars and poor visibility. What’s the maximum your car does in second gear out of interest Claire? :) We have a humble Octavia at work, I may see what that does later...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 09:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look what I found! :o :)

We're looking at >60mph, (depending on model of course), so I think my judgment wasn't too far off I'm pleased to say :wink:

Definately too fast for the conditions :x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 
User

I am more concerned with how he drives rather than the speed. I am not saying the speed is appropriate but at the same time if what you report is accurate then he seems to have limited control of his vehicle which is or far greater concern whether he is travelling at 30 or 60mph. The speed merely exacerbates things and gives anti-speed campaigners more ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DoktorMandrake wrote:
I am more concerned with how he drives rather than the speed. I am not saying the speed is appropriate but at the same time if what you report is accurate then he seems to have limited control of his vehicle.
Well yes, that as well. But we wouldn’t discount that kind of speed as a contributory factor in a accident there. I don’t care if Sebastian Vettel is at the wheel and has it completely under control, that is just way too fast for my cul-de-sac.

I am more concerned that the idiot has a licence at all TBH, assuming he does. I don’t think my cul-de-sac can be used as a drag strip under any circumstances, unless maybe there’s a bomb scare and everyone has been evacuated. Not sure how you’d get through the police tape to try it though.. :)

Am I still on topic? :whome: I feel I've drifted again..

Edit: Back more on topic. I like to think that I have it in its true perspective and not over reacting. But here's the thing.. If you are an average Joe or Joanne and the only arrow you have in your quiver is a speed camera to deter the nutters, what are you likely to do?

I’m not defending them. I am trying to understand them, their motives and what drives them to take the action they do. I don't imagine they are all crackpots, although sometimes I'm not sure about that. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My head wont switch off.. :soapbox:

It’s actually much worse in the road just around from me. As I was walking back from the local shops earlier this year I saw a car coming down the road at a ridiculous speed, again with cars parked etc. As I walked further down I saw a man rebuilding a small wall on the front and I said to him “Did you see how fast he was going?” (My language was a bit more flowery than that actually). His said “yes, it happens all the time; 60/70 mph”.

That was his guess of course, but it really was an insane speed to be going at. He said that they have complained but there’s nothing they, (the police), can do. Is this another case where it will one day drive the neighbours mad enough to try and police the roads? Quite possibly from the sounds of it. What else can they do which might help if the police cannot do anything? I expect one day to see flowers at the side of the road if they don’t taken action themselves soon. There’s even a school along that stretch further up. (Not just saying that for effect either).

Here's the rub.. If they want to go at that sort of speed they should go on a track day or, if they really must, go and find an open straight road with no junctions or other traffic on, like some people I know do. :roll: Then, as illegal as it is, (and as much as it won’t count for mitigating circumstances), at least if you get done for speeding your conscience is clear in the knowledge that the only thing you were ever likely to kill is a few bugs.