Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:27 
User

:gatso2: Orginally from the AOL home page.
http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2011/08/24/s ... -spinners/
Wallet popUK Sarah Coles wrote:
The speed camera lobby has long-denied that they are cunning money-spinners, designed as cash cows to milk the motorist. They have been sticking by their story that they are safety devices designed to avoid accidents.

The trouble is that figures released by the Department for Transport have revealed that they do precisely the opposite.

The statistics revealed what motorist have long-suspected: the cameras do very little of any use. They don't actually cut accident rates when they are erected. The only thing they can be definitely proven to do in every case is raise revenue for the government.

The Department called on councils to publish full data of revenue and accidents for cameras in their area. A huge number refused. We cannot of course read anything into this, as there are a host of reasons why a council may not choose to publish the data: they may not collect it, they may not have the manpower to access it, or it may be too embarrassing - who knows?

The councils that did come clean, however, reveal an alarming picture, for certain cameras in particular.

Dodgy cameras
Take the speed camera which was set up on the A329 in Little Milton, Oxfordshire, in 1997. According to the Daily Mail, before the camera was put up there hadn't been a single accident there for five years. In the first five years that the camera was up it clocked up five collisions and ten casualties. It's hard to argue that this is a coincidence. At the same time it was busy raking in the cash. In 2009 alone it caught 3,600 drivers breaking the 30mph speed limit.

Similarly the camera on the A1134 Newmarket Road in Cambridgeshire was put up in the same year. In the five years before the camera there had been five minor casualties. Last year, a time when 1,027 drivers were caught breaking the 30mph limit, there were seven casualties, two of them serious.

The risks
The problem, motorists have always argued, is that it's safer for drivers to consistently slightly exceed the speed limit, than for them to exceed the speed limit most of the time and then brake heavily for the cameras. They act without thinking who is behind them, and take their attention off the road which endangers pedestrians. Naturally in an ideal world the cameras would mean none of us ever break the speed limit. However, as the figures from the cameras show, clearly they are failing in this task, and so remain dangerous.

The hope
The decision to publish the details, however, shows that there is a small chance we can affect this ridiculous situation. Road safety minister Mike Penning said: "People want to know that if their tax money is being spent on speed cameras that they are actually making their roads safer, not just raising money. They will now have the information to be able to hold their councils to account if they think that some cameras have actually made the situation worse, rather than better."

If there is a camera risking lives in your area, it is therefore worth contacting your council and demanding to know why it is in the business of causing accidents in that spot.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 21:58 
User

Read this in the paper earlier. Mike Penning seems like a reasonable sort of chap. How rare his like is in politics. I admire his common sense approach. :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 04:34 
Site Admin

Sad that so few appreciate speed limit settings and rttm ! I hope that this will all help to nail the coffin for all speed cameras! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:12 
User

So do I. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 02:04 
New User
New User

Mobile cameras are even worse, they've targeted our small village over recent months, many have been fined and accrued penalty points for driving just a few miles over the limit, myself included!
Been driving (with a clean license) for almost 40 years but I'm more concerned about my driving now than ever before, my mind is solely on my speedometer which I'm checking so often, it's taking my attention away from where it should be - reading the road ahead and concentrating on obstacles, pedesatrians etc. The fines are bad enough but living in a rural area, the thought of losing my license is frightening, arghhh Paranoia!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 04:57 
Site Admin

:welcome: cchap

I am sorry to hear of your experiences. Mobile speed camera units are of no benefit to road safety and we can see they do offer many negative effects however to road safety. One of these as you have already observed in yourself : paranoia and concentration on the preservation of your license and lifestyle than to damage to people & property.
Happily there are things that you can do to help yourself. I hope that you will enjoy your time here and that was might be able to provide some help toward you as you improve your skills, abilities and knowledge when travelling (in another thread). :)

A few areas do have genuine Police (than police 'staff') operate the camera vans and stop people and 'have a chat' which is better than the tickets 2 wks later, but I'd rather see them stop people for all sorts of reasons than a 'numeric value'!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:43 
New User
New User

Thank you for your kind welcome and reply, nice to correspond with people who understand my concerns, thought I was all alone in the belief that the excessive use of cameras was a hindrance to responsible driving.
I am attending a 4 hour safe driving course courtesy of TTC next week at a cost of £85! (but at least I'll avoid another 3 points) I was intending to raise my concerns with them but the appointment letter states that you have to show a positive attitude to the course, or you will be considered not to have completed it successfully.
Don't want to come across as a grumpy old woman but I'm going to find it hard to keep my mouth shut and say nothing (anyone got a roll of duct tape?) :whome:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:32 
User

Welcome cchap!

So the speed awareness is basically give us £85, keep your mouth shut and let us indoctrinate you? Great. So much for education.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 01:02 
Site Admin

Oh yes the courses can be (as I hear) a definite don't argue! But a few interesting questions thrown in would be 'fun', but it might annoy everyone as it would delay their early exit !
It may make some people think about how they drive, which can be good of course, and depending who runs it (AA Drivetec, IAM or ??) will vary on how much 'speed' is brandished about.
Certainly telling them that it is people who pay attention, recognise a hazard at the soonest opportunity and take appropriate action, are the one's who are going to avoid the incident, than their utterly wrong statement that if you drive more slowly then you will be (magically) able to always slow or stop in time. When travelling slower than is required, one becomes bored and attention drops, and it only takes a moment to lose concentration and miss a vital clue !
Take notes of all that annoys you, and then you can chat about it here. I think I'd have to take a netbook/laptop and take notes just to ensure I allowed them to talk at all ! I do wonder if they really would fail anyone ? After all you and they have a contract that you have paid a price for a course or is it a bribe for silence (assimilation) ! You take a choice between one or the other ... I wonder if anyone has failed ?
Happily Safe Speed has been around officially since 02 as a voice of reason based on fact and truth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 21:36 
New User
New User

Good idea to take a notebook, and I will certainly let you all know the reaction (and consequences) if I do speak out (No, hold your tongue woman :tumbleweed: ) (Oh what the hell, better out than in :twisted: )
Thanks again for your welcome messages, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 01:41 
Site Admin

Before you go read this :
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/killspeed.html
and
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/roa ... s-now.html

It shows how bad their 'if you drive slowly, you will be safer' false message, (their basic reason for speed cameras), because it is how a motorists travels that is most crucial ! Early recognition of a hazard enables all appropriate action (or otherwise) to be taken.
So what makes a good motorist: Well, one that : Concentrates, is Considerate, give good Courtesy, excellent Observation, is very Aware, Anticipates the road environment, has a good Attitude, leaves good Space all about them (for their own safety and all those around them), and allow good Time to Travel and leave a minimum Two second gap between their car and the one in front. These COAST principals will keep you safe and prevent damage to people and property. Look where you are going ensures that you concentrate on what you are doing, which helps to keep attention and so on ... :)
Driving slowly does not mean that you are ensuring that you are travelling safely, or properly. When going slower than necessary this often sees motorists concentration drop and inattention increase.
Frustration and inattention are the two prime causes of an accident.
Going 'too fast for conditions', can be very dangerous and can happen below the posted legal speed limit.
'Travelling above the posted speed limit' makes it illegal and does not necessarily mean that someone is not travelling safely.