It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 08:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:33 
Site Admin

East Anglian Daily Times EADT here
Quote:
Benhall: Speed camera targeted by arsonists
By Elliot Furniss Monday, July 25, 2011 - 6:00 AM

JUST hours after an announcement that the county’s speed cameras were being switched back on, one of them was targeted by arsonists.

A tyre was placed over the safety camera on the A12 at Benhall, near Saxmundham, in the early hours of Saturday and set alight.

The incident happened at just before 1am and a crew from Saxmundham was sent to the scene.
The flames were extinguished by 1.10am but the camera was visibly damaged.
The arson attack was reported on the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service Facebook page and by last night 23 people had “liked” the news that the speed camera had been targeted.

In Saturday’s East Anglian Daily Times, which went to press at about the same time as the incident, it was reported that, following safety fears, it had been agreed that the county’s speed cameras would be reactivated.

They had been switched off in a bid to save an annual £1million but at a meeting on Friday of the Suffolk Police Authority (SPA) it was agreed that a decision on the long-term future of the speed camera network should be postponed until later in the year.

Suffolk County Council had voted to pull out of the Suffolk Safecam Partnership in January. It stopped any funding in April and said it would cease speed camera operations by the start of July.

The cameras were switched off on July 1 although the boxes were left in place.
But confirmation the speed cameras have been reinstalled came on Friday after a meeting of the SPA, which had raised concerns about the switch-off.

Despite the rethink there are still doubts over how many there will be in the future and where they will be sited.
SPA has commissioned a review of the devices, to consider their cost, effectiveness and whether digital technology needs to be introduced.

The issue will be discussed further at a meeting of the Suffolk Road Safety Partnership in September where a long-term plan to keep the cameras operating will be thrashed out.
On Friday Joanna Spicer, chairman of SPA, said: “We, together with the council, are committed to enhancing road safety in Suffolk and this demonstrates our partnership-approach to reducing road crash casualties.”

A police spokesman said the fire was being treated as an arson attack and any witnesses should contact officers on 01473613500.
Fear to use science is a sad day indeed. Fear to spend the time understanding properly ought to be a criminal offence when in office ... perhaps it already is ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 
User

They're switching their cameras back on? One step forward, two steps back. :headbash:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 20:09 
Site Admin

All of a sudden - reckon they have chickened out or been got at ! :( Great shame for road safety.

:welcome: to Safe Speed. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 23:38 
User

Thank you for the welcome!

I thought they were a brave, forward thinking lot when they decided to switch the cameras off. I have always believed it would be interesting if it was done countrywide over a given period of time as an experiment just to see what impact decommissioning cameras, even if only temporarily, would have and always considered Suffolk to be a bit of a testing ground. Sad it looks as if they have indeed chickened out or bowed to pressure.

There was an interesting article in last week's MCN about how many camera sites in London were actually active. I am sure it has maybe been reproduced here, or something similar, but it was explaining how a lot of cameras in the capital (mainly the older, less cost effective Gatso-type) had either seemingly been abandoned entirely or been neglected to such an extent that they could no longer be used to secure a conviction (lines had not been repainted, foliage obscuring the lens etc.) but sadly this seems not so much to indicate a change of policy but a lack of funding and a preference for digital cameras over the more costly gatso. Not that I ever speed of course, but at least the gatsos are easier to spot. The lesser of two evils, if you will. The monitron type are about 20 feet in the air and a lot smaller which doesn't give you much of a fighting chance - neither do the lines that are painted either side of the lane - the old-style central markings were easier to identify.

I can't remember if it was in print or on the telly box but I do remember one of I believe it to be Safe Speeds' representatives calling for decommissioned or inactive cameras to have bags on them. Pity that wasn't a legal requirement. The only road I have seen with this is the A13 and that is sadly as they have introduced a specs average speed system. Shame those in charge view cameras, even when not operational, as such an effective road safety measure. They are dangerous enough when live, without having people braking hard at the last minute for empty boxes. I wonder how many collisions those empty boxes have been responsible for?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 00:52 
Site Admin

The unused figure was around 53% but as many counties have been turning them off this will rise over the next year.
The Gatso is cheaper than the mobile units that often cost around £100K to kit out the van.
Yes I have certainly called for covers for speed cameras during several radio interviews, for all speed cameras that are unused, as otherwise they continue to create the paranoia in motorists, and teach that a numeric value is more important than good road observation and travelling at an appropriate speed for the conditions.

I regularly call for the removal of all speed cameras static and mobile units, although Police using devices to immediately stop people and apply appropriate & proportionate enforcement is sensible.
I also call for more well trained police officers to patrol and serve the public as they ought.
When funds are short the Country needs to rely on it's best known assets and that is through good quality Police patrols.
This will slowly help to restore the public's faith in the Police and the Court system, nothing else can ! The rift is massive and it must be addressed.

The Vehicle Activated Signs - VAS are good as they remind motorists of their speed, and as they do not threaten their licences or livelihoods produce no panic braking or sudden change, but encourage good behaviours and act as a sensible 'reminder'.

Might I assume that you are located in the vicinity of Suffolk?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 14:42 
User

It really shows the authorities' blind faith in the speed camera that they continue to believe in them as an effective means of road safety even when inactive. I'm personally glad the gatso is the cheaper option to the mobile unit. In as far as such a thing could ever be deemed safe, it is at least safer than the mobile units which I am not a fan of. At least with a fixed position camera you can either use local knowledge, a GPS-based warning system or simply make sure you are driving well within the speed limit, watching out for camera signs and limit changes (the latter, as you have suggested, is not a safe way to drive - speed being, as the government have admitted in their own studies, a negligible factor in accidents when contrasted with inattention and otehr factors, which looking out for cameras and signs and constantly checking your speed certainly promotes). I have no problem with appropriate law enforcement tactics (again, not just relying on speed as a determining factor for prosecution, but whether it was used appropriately and how the person was driving. To believe that exceeding the limit automatically makes you a danger is ridiculous) but the mobile units are just another form of speed detection and prosecution. Having a trained person cowering in the back of a van with a speed gun really just seems a waste of resources. Most people who get caught will pose no danger to themselves or other people whatsoever. That would be my opinion anyway.

Unfortunately for years now we have been abused by the people we entrust power to not served by them. They have sought to vilify the motorist and create an almost hysteria driven system of punitive measures which prove highly lucrative but erode respect for the law and politicians. I agree, police applying appropriate and proportional enforcement is sensible. As long as they base it on more than just the speed at which a person was riding/driving - unless that speed was totally inappropriate - 90 outside a school for example would be indefensible. I also agree that well trained, fair-minded coppers with a good grasp of common sense who seek to educate and serve the public are invaluable and that all a camera or certain police policies at the moment can ever do is alienate the general public.

How do you feel about redlight cameras by the way? Personally, I don't think they will ever match up to a police officer with the powers of reason, who can discern a genuine mistake from a reckless endangerment of other road users and act accordingly. They can also be placed on confusing light systems where it is often easy, if not familiar with the set up, to find yourself in danger of going through a red. I mean, I can't be the only person in the world who has accidentally gone through a redlight. Hasn't happened very often but it has happened. Human error. No one was ever endangered, I hasten to add.

I believe there is evidence to show that VAS systems do actually work. Plus anything that doesn't cause, as you say, fear and paranoia over licence and livelihood or inadvertent braking but a gentle reminder has to be far more positive than the cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:44 
User

Oh and no I am not from Suffolk. I split my time between London and the cun'ree soide :)

I just keep an eye out for developments in the on-going war with those out to take our money under the pretence of road safety and thought that Suffolk was a positive step in the right direction.