Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 03:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 06:08 
Site Admin

Road.cc here
road.cc - Mark Appleton wrote:
Updated: :South Gloucestershire to axe speed cameras?
By Mark Appleton - Posted on 22 February 2011

South Gloucestershire could become the latest county to switch off its fixed speed cameras following the council’s decision not fund them after April, reports the BBC.

The authority would be the second in the south west to do so following a lead set by Somerset council which also said it could not afford to fund its fixed camera programme.

Gloucestershire’s funding for a wider regional speed camera programme will run out at the end of March.

And according to the minutes of a meeting, obtained by the BBC, "funding uncertainties" could mean that cameras in neighbouring areas may also be turned off.

South Gloucestershire Council contributed £141,842 in 2010/11 to the West of England Road Safety Partnership which in turn funds Safecam, the body that operates road safety cameras on its behalf.

A council spokesperson told the road. cc: "Safecam will be disbanded on March 31 and Avon & Somerset Constabulary will then be responsible for camera enforcement and for running the driver education programme."

The cuts come as central government withdraws funding for speed camera operations.

The spokesperson continued: "The council is committed to road safety and the cameras are just one element of a wider strategy. Education, training and road engineering all contribute to making South Gloucestershire's roads amongst the safest in the country."

Councils in Bristol, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerset are due to make their decisions on the funding of speed camera programmes in the next few weeks.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 
User

gloucester council wrote:
"The council is committed to road safety and the cameras are just one element of a wider strategy. Education, training and road engineering all contribute to making South Gloucestershire's roads amongst the safest in the country."

why don't you ask what these "other measures" are as you seem to be keen on finding out what's going on?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 09:16 

Maybe because we're not the ones who will end up with egg on our faces if the scamera partnerships disappear and KSIs continue to fall?! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:04 
User

Mole wrote:
Maybe because we're not the ones who will end up with egg on our faces if the scamera partnerships disappear and KSIs continue to fall?! :lol:

It's because you know there are none implemented in lieu of the cash being diverted or reallocated. Why not ask in Swindon what magic they have performed? I'm sure they will be able to explain and list them all for you; they couldn't when I asked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
It's because you know there are none implemented in lieu of the cash being diverted or reallocated. Why not ask in Swindon what magic they have performed? I'm sure they will be able to explain and list them all for you; they couldn't when I asked.

I don't think anyone's saying that councils have implemented magical "alternative" measures. The whole point is that the majority of road safety interventions by local councils have no effect in reducing casualties, so equally not doing anything will have no impact either.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 21:36 

GreenShed wrote:
Mole wrote:

What? You mean that they switched the cameras off AND didn't take any alternative measures AND STILL no carnage ensued? Hell, maybe it IS all down to the cars after all! :wink: