PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 23:44 
User

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/387 ... sh_victim/

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/387 ... sh_victim/

bolton news wrote:
Family's tribute to A6 death crash victim
4:30pm Wednesday 26th November 2008

By Staff Reporter » Play Video

The family of Barry B, the father of two killed when his car collided with a bus in icy conditions on the A6 at Blackrod, have paid tribute to him.

Barry, aged 48, of Highfield Road, Adlington, suffered serious injuries in the collision on the A6 just before 7.20am yesterday. He was pronounced dead at the scene despite paramedics’ efforts to save him.

Barry's wife Julie and two children Dale, aged 21, and Elliot, aged 16, said: "Barry will be desperately missed by his family and friends.

"He was a prison officer for 16 years and died in a tragic accident.

"Barry was a loving husband, married for 24 years, and a proud and wonderful Dad.

"Everyone who met him loved him. He touched people's lives with his generosity, kindness and humour.

"His laugh was loud and infectious.

"He will be sadly missed by everyone."

Barry was driving along the A6 bypass in his Saab when the double-decker bus crashed into him after being hit by a Renault Megane.

A third car, a BMW, careered into a field after the driver swerved to avoid the accident.

Four other people were taken to hospital with minor injuries and were later discharged.

It emerged has that a motorist dialled 999 to report the dangerous state of the road, caused by black ice, 30 minutes before the crash.

And it was also revealed that local councillors have been calling for action for years, because the stretch where the accident happened, between Grimesford Lane and Station Road, is regularly covered with a layer of surface water in bad weather.

Graham Farrington, a Blackrod town councillor, said the problem of water running down the hill on to the road and the danger of it freezing had been raised with Bolton Council a number of times in the last two years.

He said: “I am not surprised in the slightest that there has been an accident. It’s terrible that something like this has to happen before anyone takes any notice.

“Bolton Council is well aware of the problem. There are simply no excuses.”

The southbound carriageway was closed for nine hours as police carried out a detailed investigation at the scene.

A resident has described how she ran outside to help after hearing the crash.

Jacqui C, aged 41, a mother of two who lives at W Farm, said: “I heard the bus skidding, then an almighty bang. It sounded like a plane crashing.

“I ran outside and there were people stumbling out of cars and others helping. It was terrible” James Dickinson, a 36-year-old company director, was driving to work in Horwich when he passed the crash scene.

He said: “There was ice on the road and I realised there were cars coming that couldn’t see the accident, so I stopped and put my hazards on to warn people. Even the fire engine skidded as it approached.”

Mark W, a 46-year-old professional driver, was returning from a night shift in Manchester at 6.50am when he nearly crashed on the same stretch.

Mr , from Adlington, said: “It was pitch black, then I suddenly hit water and the ice. It felt like a flat tyre. Luckily, I managed to regain control.[/b

“I pulled over and called 999 and told them: [b]‘It’s not just a bit of ice. Someone could end up getting themselves killed down it’s that bad’.”

A council spokesman said the road had been gritted on Monday night, adding it was too early in the police investigation to comment further.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said Mr Walsh’s 999 call had been handed over to the Highways Agency.

This has shades of Rhyl .. January 2006 :rolleyes:

Three weeks after the Rhyl tragedy - a group of cyclists skidded into each other on Chorley New Road .. just across the field from this stretch of the A6. This is high ground and prone to cold macro-climate snaps.

A further problem seems to be the drains and the surfacing of this road. I have driven it a few times over the years. Recently since a resurfacing in 2004 and replaced drains.. this road has become a a nightmare for aqual-planing and black ice. It was not so until this resurfacing. :scratchchin:

And there's more.. speed comes into the argument.. and speed has nothing to do with the causes of this recent spate of accidents. :banghead:

Bolton News wrote:
]

Notorious bypass ‘must be made safer’
7:30am Wednesday 26th November 2008

By Amanda Smith »

FRESH calls for an overhaul of safety measures on the notorious A6 bypass were made by councillors and the public last night.

They want action to be taken to prevent a repeat of yesterday’s horrific accident.

The route has a history of smashes which have lead to death or serious injury and local people have been calling for action for years.

Councillors have previously asked for the 60mph speed limit to be reduced to 40mph to make the road safer.

Black ice, poor drains and a rotten road surface are causing these incidents. Not the speed limit. :roll:

Quote:
And concern has been raised about a pool of water which regularly appears on the road in wet conditions, near to where the accident happened. Last month, Blackrod Town Council wrote to Bolton Council asking for trees to be cut back and for drains to be unblocked.

Cllr Graham Farrington said: “I’ve been concerned about the way that maintenance of the highways and footpaths has been deteriorating over the years.

“I have expressed concerns about the state of the A6, with the water running over the road. The council has done a bit of work on it in the past, but we have been constantly complaining about it for two years.

“I don’t think there is a councillor in Blackrod who hasn’t complained about the state of the A6, but it is falling on deaf ears. It’s a pity that something like this has to happen before anyone takes any notice.”

Peter T, aged 50, of Adlington, travels to work in Lostock every day.

He said: “I was driving along at about 9pm on Monday night and saw the water in the road and I said to my passengers that it would be a death trap if it freezes.

“The road didn’t appear to have been gritted, and if it was the water would have washed it away.

“The surface water is the size of a small pond and if you did not know the road, it is dark and you are going at 60mph, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Something must be done.”

Cllr Nick Peel, Bolton Council’s executive member for environmental services, said: “The stretch of road was gritted on Monday night between 6.30pm and 7.45pm, in accordance with the expected weather conditions.

“When a serious accident occurs the highways department will carry out an investigation, alongside the police, into what caused it.”

In the case of the near cycling tragedy in 2006 - the same claim was made. The cyclists maintained that no gritter had gritted and Bolton and Chorley councils blamed each other at the time :popcorn:

(source - Bolton News - Mid january 2006 and pasted to this site at the time .. by me :wink:

Quote:
Andrew H, a 34-year-old export administrator from Astley, said he and his wife, Gillian, aged 29, were involved in an accident at the same spot last November as they drove to work in Adlington.

Mr Holden said: “We crashed and spun into a tree due to black ice caused by water run off and we were lucky enough to walk away alive because nothing was coming the other way."

This stretch did claim the life of a teacher in decent conditions. An inquest held that she had been taken ill at the wheel of her car when she collided with a tree.

Speed is not the cause of incident here. Poor drainage.. poor road surface materials and a failure to grit the road properly seem to be the prime causes. :furious:

Print article » Email to a friend » Share
What's this? »
Digg Reddit Facebook Furl Yahoo

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message