It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat and Fiddle BS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:09 
Site Admin

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/ ... _spot.html

Spy plea on killer road's blind spot
Brian Lashley

ONE of Britain's most notorious blackspots for road deaths does not have a permanent speed camera.

The A537 Cat and Fiddle road, between Macclesfield and Buxton, has a lethal reputation after 27 people were killed or seriously injured between 2001-2004.

The Cheshire Safety Camera Partnership (CSCP), which manages speed and red light cameras across the county, said the lack of a power supply and road bends mean a permanent camera can not be installed. A spokesman said mobile speed cameras are used instead.

June Webb, from Beswick in Manchester, whose daughter Jodie died as the result of the actions of a speeding driver, said there should be a "safety camera" on the highway.

The spokesman for CSCP said: "Enforcement of the 50-mph speed limit is carried out from a mobile vehicle, which parks in a prominent position to encourage drivers and riders to slow down."

Mrs Webb, a member of road safety charity RoadPeace, said: "I'm surprised there is not a permanent camera. I would like to see one there because they do save lives."

Cheshire police have carried out successful campaigns on the A537 including high profile patrols, a spotter plane and information to bikers.

==================================

Ah, so if we use the data from the TV programme, we'll get an RTTM + other safety benefits estimation value of 50% from this camera-free road. Now there's a surprise...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 13:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Hmm, very bleak and isolated road, the Cat & Fiddle. I suspect a permanent Gatso might, er, get blown over by strong winds :wink:

Realistically, there are only two spots on the road where the 85th percentile speed for cars is likely to be over 50 anyway.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message