The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 13:39 
Site Admin

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/publ ... 4499.shtml

Caution move in row over speed cameras

By JAMES WHITTAKER

First-time speeding offenders could be given a second chance in a new move to ease growing public anger over the use of roadside cameras.

The move, which could see those caught just a few miles per hour over the limit given a caution rather than getting a £60 fine and three points, has been put forward by Chief Constable of North Wales Richard Brunstrom, who is one of the most vocal supporters of cameras.

Mr Brunstrom, who is the head of road policing for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said in an interview that officers didn't want to persecute motorists. He said a new policy would be formally announced shortly which would also see motorists given the chance to pay £200 to go on a driving improvement course.

But if they are caught speeding again after being cautioned, the driver would then have the points added to their licence.

"At present speed cameras are very black and white," said Mr Brunstrom in an interview with the Police Federation's magazine Police. "Either nothing happens or you get three points and a fine. "We obviously need a national scheme that will give drivers who are caught for the first time the option of a formal warning and retraining, as we do for careless driving now. "We will be unveiling a national scheme in the near future which will take a lot of heat out of the issue."

A spokeswoman for North Wales constabulary said that Mr Brunstrom, who has always defended speed cameras, would not make any further comment on the issue.

Telford speed camera campaigner John Evans, from Randlay, said he welcomed the news that the controversial camera policy could be reviewed. "I am pleasantly surprised that he has begun to see reason. I think a caution for first time offenders would be a decent compromise. It would be an appropriate measure that fits the offence rather than immediately making people feel like criminals."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 14:11 
Site Admin

And in the Daily Mail:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 22:16 
User

Is it my lack of knowledge? As I see it, they're changing the penalty system - a legal measure, while mr. Brunstrom is only the messenger.

Anyway, I think this yellow-card system (as in football/soccer) is a step in the good direction. Only if they were to loosen it up a bit more, perhaps many fatalities could become injury accidents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 19:48 

The Sun are reporting this as a success for 'their' campaign against scameras here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004131180,00.html

That article states courses and a caution for those less than 5mph over the limit - at the moment, those people aren't punished at all since they're below the camera threshold.

Looks more like a sideways step than a climbdown to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 07:37 
New User
New User

I really don't see any improvement. There are so many Gatsos in the UK, if your not caught this time, it will be next. We should actualy campaign for people to buy a radardetector.

I am really pleased with my Beltronics 975 remote and LRC-100 laserjammer:

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/5th_G ... ectors.wmv

Very interessting movie.
The way Brunstrom has proposed now will still make people react to speed cameras. If he really wanted to make a statement he would have to say that the cameras will have a 7-8 mph threshold and that points will be given to people who go 15 mph, below is just a small penalty.