Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 05:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 00:49 
New User
New User

Hi, just a quickie to introduce myself as a new Member of the SafeSpeed Forums.

I am the ABD's Local Co-Ordinator for Bedfordshire. I have been driving on both 2 and 4 wheels for over 20 years (admittedly only on 4 wheels for most of the time), both in modern "tin-top" machinery and in slightly more interesting and challenging older vehicles such as the 1922 3-litre Bentley in which I have an interest.

Like all of us, I care passionately about road safety, and I believe that the best way to promote road safety is to educate all road users, not just blindly to concentrate on one aspect.

What "safety" camera can prevent a driver who is either tired, drunk or drugged up to the eyeballs from getting into a vehicle that might have defective brakes, tyres, or steering and then crashing that vehicle and killing him/herself and/or others if the driver has remained within the posted speed limit?

We need more uniformed police on our roads, men and women who are able to exercise more than a modicum of common sense and discretion when dealing with the serial tailgater, middle lane hogger, drunk or drugged-up driver.

Oh, sorry, of course, I forgot. They aren't necessarily going to raise £60 a time!

And I would also ask the question, whatever happened to the Tufty Club?

Oh, sorry, of course, I forgot. It put too much onus on the children to think about the dangers of playing in the road, of not looking right, left and right again before stepping out ..... can't use emotional blackmail to "justify" all these "safety cameras" then, can we!!!

Best wishes

Peter

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 14:23 
Supporter
Supporter

I agree, Everything seems to be the drivers fault doesn't it? I was only thinking about Tufty the other day. I don't see no campaigns any more about Road Safety being drilled into Children or the Green Cross Code Man!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 16:53 
User

Derick wrote:
I agree, Everything seems to be the drivers fault doesn't it? I was only thinking about Tufty the other day. I don't see no campaigns any more about Road Safety being drilled into Children or the Green Cross Code Man!! :wink:

Because it isn't. My 9 year old brother would not have a clue about road safety if he hadn't been well versed in it by my parents.