Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: View from Downunder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:20 
User

The issue of looking at/for the speed camera when in the area of one becomes even more dangerous with the use of unmarked camera cars. If used ,as they do here in Australia, the car with the camera is a plain vehcile so consequentially drivers are distracted for even longer periods as they try and determine which car holds the camera and what way it is facing (forward or backward).

The danger also remains if the driver has not seen the speed camera warning sign or the car itself (ie not until the last warnig sign is seen some 50 to 100 mtrs after the camera) as often the driver reacts in panic. Unnecessary hard braking, looking around ectera, to the detriment of other drivers. I saw a five car pile up due to speed camera.

I drive many thousands of kilometres each year and see all sorts of reactions to speed cameras. I too would look to check my speed, maybe up to three times, if not using the cars cruise control.

I served 13 years in the New Zealand Police and have spent the last seven years as a crash investigator in both NZ and South Australia. I rode motorcycles for the best part of 20 years, even at speeds in excess of 280kph (160mph) on public roads.

As a crash investigator the truth of 'accidents' is seen. Most are crashes by drivers who lacked the common sense to save their own lives. It should be remembered that thousands of drivers will pass over a piece of road without incident, but some fool will not. (I appreciate that the fool may hit an 'innocent' driver but they too should be wary of what is happening around them.)

At regular intervals the police service pats itself on the back for lowering the road toll despite evidence that the introduction of airbags, ABS, AWD, car crush zones and side intrusion bars, combined with better rescue services and medical procedures has reduced the rate of fatal accidents more that policing ever has. When NZ changed its import laws to allow the sale of new used Japanese cars the countries roads were flooded with cars that had the latest technology therefore automatically helping to reduce the road toll.

During my time in the police speed cameras were introduced which only saw a huge negative response in the public opinion towards the police service. (There was a cost cutting amalgamation of Police and Traffic Services). Black spots were identified and cameras posted or used in cars. Many of the black spots were then re-engineered to make them safer but the cameras remained. As the roads became safer cars tended to travel faster over them!

I have very strong beliefs about the inability of law enforcement agencies to act independantly from governments and with any truthfullness. In particular the continued bombardment of the public about speed and alcohol related crashes being the 'big issues' when in fact more daily death and destruction is caused by the ignorant, the incapable, and the just plain stupid. Catching speedsters is like shooting fish in a barrel. It takes no effort and generates huge government income. But does it improve society, reduce crime and prevent accidents? In my experience-No.

We make no attempt to educate our kids when they are still at school, we worship and promote motorsports (even with blatant alcohol company sponsorship), and fail to highlight the deaths caused by 'Joe Average" in totally avoidable circumstances.

Another problem is the habit of letting our children drive cars that are old and unsafe. A $2000 1985 sedan with worn suspension, bald tyres, poor brakes and heaps of power is going to kill its occupants when the inexperienced driver gets out of control. We have the technology to prevent the situation becoming fatal but we don't want to spend the money! How much is your kid worth?

In Australia the Nothern Territory has no speed limit yet it has the lowest road toll for any state. This is a land of high powered 5700cc V8 cars and they ARE driven to the max. Yet in South Australia we have horrendous accidents on the simplest of roads. Why? Apart from supidity a lot of it is driver frustration because road design is inadequate to ensure good flow speed of traffic. The resulting bottle-ups cause drivers to take un-necessary risks (a foolish reaction) that then results in a fatal accident. These accidents are then blamed on speed alone. 'The deceased was overtaking in excess of the posted speed limit".

In an attempt to make roads safer there are now numerous speed limits in different areas. 110, 100, 90, 80, 70 60, 50, 40 and 25 kph are all speed limits you will encounter in South Australia. Drivers are confused and pre-occupied with trying to locate the speed signs so their attention is further reduced from their primary task of driving.

The road toll is influenced by many variables. Road conditions & design, traffic speed & volume, weather, vehicle age & technology, driver experience & ability, freak incidents, access to medical treatment to name a few. The random presence of a police officer/camera does very little to influence the toll.

So should more cars always equal more deaths (statistically)?
And why does all the effort given to speed enforcement not reduce the toll. Is it because drivers will continue to kill themselves regradless of the speed limit? I would suggest the answer is yes.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:25 
User

No need to post the same thread twice...

Profile Send private message