Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: M6 J34-36
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 17:07 
User

Has anyone noticed a marked increase in the number of cameras on the Kendal-Lancaster stretch of the M6? Before the roadworks came in, I don't think there were any (although I never drove along it before then, so I may be wrong), but it seems that every time I drive along it there are more cameras... Every time they move the roadworks a little further along the carriageway, and thus move the 50 limit, another camera gets put in! I saw two people get flashed in the course of driving J34-36 the other day, and narrowly avoided it myself when I spotted (yet another!) new camera just in time.

I do wonder what will happen to these cameras when the roadworks are gone. The sensible thing would be to remove/disable them all, because enforcing a 70mph limit on that comparatively quiet stretch of motorway seems a bit silly. But I bet they won't be removed, because they won't have recouped (sp?) the costs of installing them by then...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: M6 J34-36
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 18:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mike[F] wrote:
I do wonder what will happen to these cameras when the roadworks are gone.
I've wondered the same thing about the cameras on the western stretch of the M25 where it's being widened. I've avoided it since the roadworks began, but from the A30 last weekend I saw a Gatso northbound just after the J11 slip road. Bearing in mind that the M25 has camera enforced variable limits all the way from J10 to J16 already, they could easily have enforced the temporary limit anyway. But it seems they've got extra cameras out there all the same. AFAIK the vaiable limit cameras only operate when a sub-70 mph limit is in operation, so when it's quiet and the regular 70 mph limit is applicable you don't get zapped for having a heavy right foot. But if the new cameras stay after the works are complete there's a whole new bunch of drivers they can catch. They'll be speeding in light traffic (or the variable speed limts would be on), on one of the widest roads in the country (5 lanes each side?) and basically do not present any real danger at 10 or so over. But 60 quid from each is going to be hard to resist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 09:27 
I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that they are not currently allowed to place fixed speed cameras to enforce the NSL on motorways; so when the roadworks go, the cameras will have to go too.

Kaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Disenchanted, are you certain of that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but there was a Gatso on the M4 near Slough for some years, though I think it's gone now. There were no roadworks around at the time, so it could only have been NSL that was being enforced. Has the ban on motorway cameras only come about in the last couple of years? That might explain where the M4 camera went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 16:52 
Gatsobait wrote:
Disenchanted, are you certain of that?...

No, not certain, it's just my understanding from something I read a little while back. Unfortunately, I cannot relocate the source; I'll keep looking.

Kaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

disenchanted wrote:
I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that they are not currently allowed to place fixed speed cameras to enforce the NSL on motorways; so when the roadworks go, the cameras will have to go too.

I'm not sure they're specifically banned, but the Highways Agency and their Welsh and Scottish equivalents certainly choose not to employ them in NSL zones - possibly because they fear they would tend to lead to rear-end shunts that couldn't be blamed on anything else.

There have been plenty of rumours of fixed cameras going up on motorways, but all have proven to be either false alarms or roadworks cameras.

I have been told that the Gatsos on the VSL sections of the M25 do enforce the NSL, but are set with a trigger speed of around 90-95 mph.

Apparently the Republic of Ireland has started using fixed speed cameras on its small motorway network.

Regards,

Peter

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:41 
User

Do know that M62 Eastbound had roadworks - around Simister further East - last year. Gatsos were there to enforce 40-50 mph limits.

Can confirm that they have removed them on completion of road works.

Noted when visiting Wythenshawe Hospital earlier this week - roadworks sprouted at Sale per Road widening programme. 40mph limit in place and Speed Cam signs everywhere. However - no speed cams!

In fact, one of the little scameral signs has yellow sign saying "not in use" over the top of it! Confess to being a bit confused by this - they have no less than six signs warning of speed cameras and on one of them - they have "not in use"!

Either they are checking speed or they are not - but the bridge is good place for a mobile scams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 16:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
There have been plenty of rumours of fixed cameras going up on motorways, but all have proven to be either false alarms or roadworks cameras.
There was definitely a Gatso box on the London bound M4 between Slough and Datchett, though thinking about it now I don't believe there was a camera in it. I never saw it zap anyone, and drove past it once or twice after I bought a radar detector without a peep. IIRC it was there for a few years and disappeared about 2-3 years ago (at least I can't remember seeing it for that long).
PeterE wrote:
I have been told that the Gatsos on the VSL sections of the M25 do enforce the NSL, but are set with a trigger speed of around 90-95 mph.
I've only ever seen them flash when variable limits are in use, but that sounds plausible. Even without a VSL being able to do as much as 90 is unusual round there so they might not go off that often.