Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 15:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 21:29 
New User
New User

I'm quite new to all this forum stuff, so bare with me.

I find myself getting quite neurotic about the number of cameras surrounding me on every long trip I make. Maybe I don't get out enough, but every time I make a journey , there they are again towering over roadside verges, on motorway bridges, on buildings....everywhere!

And now -probably because it's spring- I see some more of the b****** sprouting up, but this time they're light green!

Now I can cope with yellow ones -at least I know what they are supposed to be for (£££ kerching)- and act accordingly. Blue ones? Fine, they just check on traffic flows -don't they? Grey ones on bridges ? I suppose some of those are speedcams in hiding, but I'll just have to chance I don't get caught. (Not that I speed you understand)

But light green ones. (Twitch, Twitch) Does anyone know what they are for? :?: :?:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 14:49 

The light green ones are probably trafficmaster.

They don't measure your speed, well they do but don't link it to your vehicle, well they do but only the middle 4 digits of your registration, and they don't keep that information.

In a nutshell they aren't involved in giving out tickets but it wouldn't take much to convert them into a SPECS style system.

Trafficmaster go to great lengths to distance themselves from the scameraships. They used to have blue devices but have taken to painting them green to differentiate from truvelos, even though they are nowhere near the same size or shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 15:39 
User

What do they do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 16:27 

http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/

The sensors they use on motorways measure the average speed of vehicles in the middle lane.

The newer ones measure journey times along A roads. You may have seen trumpet like affairs on posts alongside major A roads.

Quote:
Trunk roads use a different technology to cater for the different traffic patterns experienced on such roads. Traffic turns off at junctions and may stop in lay-bys, at shopping centres etc, so simple speed measurement would not generate quality data. Passive Target Flow Measurement (PTFM) uses number plate recognition technology to ''grab'' the four centre digits of a vehicle number plate. This is turned into a four figure electronic ''tag'' on site – no number plate data is retained.

As the vehicle proceeds along the road and passes the next site(s), average journey times between sites are calculated and sophisticated computer programmes establish the speed of the traffic over those ''links''. In a seamless process, traffic speed on that particular section of road is then delivered to the traffic information product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 16:38 
User

Ah, clever stuff!