Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aviva driving app
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 23:46 
Life Member
Life Member

I have just seen an Aviva advert suggesting you try out an app to rate your driving. I am guessing this is a phone based version of the little black boxes some insurance companies want you to have.

Could be an interesting way to see what sort of diving they rate as good or bad?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Aviva driving app
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 

I think I've seen something like this discussed on another forum. It works using the phone's GPS and maps so that it knows where you are and what the speed limit is. Obviously, it also knows what speed you're doing too, and what time of day it is. It ALSO uses the phone's accelerometer to monitor acceleration, deceleration and cornering forces so that it "knows" whether you're reducing speed and braking in good time for a junction or whether you didn't realise the junction was there and had to stand on the brakes. Quite how it knows which direction is which when you could have put the phone in any kind of orientation in the car is beyond me! Also, how it differentiates between climbing (or descending a hill) and braking or accelerating is also beyond me.

The first thing that strikes me is that you're a much safer driver if you run over the kid that steps into the road smoothly and at constant speed (within the limit, naturally!) than if you brake harshly for the kid and swerve to try and avoid it.

I think you can also get an add-on that enables every company you've ever driven past to send you exciting and valuable offers for their products direct to your phone...

Aviva will probably monitor the areas you drive through to provide "tailored home insurance solutions" to suit your kind of risk area (and maybe share your details with "carefully selected partners" unless you tick the impossibly small box next to the array of double-negatives in fine print that means you don't want them to.

Suspicious wives can also log on to trackmycheatinghusband.com and (for a small subscription) learn of your whereabouts at any time of day...

Me? Cynical?...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 14:36 
User

Mole wrote:
Suspicious wives can also log on to trackmycheatinghusband.com and (for a small subscription) learn of your whereabouts at any time of day...

Me? Cynical?...

either that or something to hide.... :shhh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 19:26 
Life Member
Life Member

Mole wrote:
The first thing that strikes me is that you're a much safer driver if you run over the kid that steps into the road smoothly and at constant speed (within the limit, naturally!) than if you brake harshly for the kid and swerve to try and avoid it.

I agree with your reservations about the ability of these systems to usefully assess a drivers safety, the tracking and spamming functions are also dubious. Interesting that this would allow sms messages to be sent from businesses you are passing, that would not distract a driver at all!

What could be interesting is trying this out to see what scores we get. My driving is pretty safe, I very seldom need to brake hard due to other road users, however I do not hang around and enjoy using plenty of loud pedal when circumstances allow. Perhaps running this in my kit car would be a laugh, 200bhp/ton and very sticky tyres.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 23:19 
Site Admin

They really do want to turn us all into robots who never overtake, downshift and heaven forbid heel & toe !

It is really sad that they think (& try to teach!) that some tracker could tell me if I am acting safely or not. And worse based only on such extremely limited info and speed yet nothing of the conditions (general weather maybe)!!!

I agree if we all did it what would it say ! ??

Yet we already know what is important. I guess this is just a gimmick !?

I hear that Google is ending it's 'latitude' facility. With that it will know neigh immediately if you turn around with your phone and the arrow changes in real time !! :)

Whilst i don't mind people close to me know where I am, it would never be my choice to allow anyone else to know. Bad enough with all the cctv going on etc!