Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hazard Awareness
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:26 
User

I was going to put this in the Improving Road Safety forum but it is not the right one. As we also have no Joke forum I thought it best to put it here. :?

As we all know a big part of driving is hazard awareness. It is also true, I think, that this improves with experience. We are able to better recognise developing situations as hazards the more miles we have under our belts, usually.

However I am seeing a disturbing trend amongst drivers around where I live in London. It is not a decline in the standard of driving around here. We think we have seen this since the day we passed our driving test :oops: . But that is not it. What I am seeing is something far more disturbing. :nono:

What I am seeing is some drivers reliance on other road users to recognise their ineptitude :loco: . These driver are now going so far as to advertise their plight. Not in the usual manner of driving in a way unsuitable for the conditions. They still do this, but sometimes they have to be fairly close, due to traffic conditions, to make it visible. Now they have taken to telling the world, in advance, that they will be giving you a fright, even before they are within a hundred yards of you.

How do they do it. :? They now drive with the hazard lights going. :tumbleweed:

Since the new year I have followed 4 or 5 cars over several miles and as much as ten with the constant flash of dual indicators going :censored: There is very little you can do apart from lay back at a safe distance and be vigilant. The one car I was able to pull up beside at a set of lights ignored my attempts to tell them of the problem. :(

How did we get to this situation?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hazard Awareness
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 23:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi theboxers :)

Do you mean, are you saying, they are actually driving along with the hazards on? If so, that's something I can't claim to have seen in the U.K's second largest city.

What I have seen, however, are nob-heads stopping in stupid places and putting their hazards on because - they're stupid! :banghead: :x :doh:

Happened this morning, again, actually :x I won't go into detail because I'd use expletives which would be inappropriate/censored...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 00:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Tone ( not askin for sympathy vote)-I see this reularly at our local supermart. I'm not entitled to a badge,and don't have GS with us,so I have no priority. Yet I have problems walking due to a hip problem . I look for a space ,find none ,and move into a lane and park . Put on hazards ,and someone starts hooting. FFS- i'M QUEUING. Yet I see all the disabled spaces filled up with mums +kids. I now wonder what wonder drug NHS is putting in tea/food at local placethat they can't distingusish difference between a wheel chair and a m+b markin . I call it the dyslecxic mum syndron . rant over . :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 19:11 
User

Tone

Yes traveling with the hazards lights going :headbash:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 21:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

theboxers wrote:
Tone

Yes traveling with the hazards lights going :headbash:
Oh, okay. The only time I ever normally see that is on the motorway when drivers are grinding to a halt approaching stationary traffic. Done it myself a few times when I've looked in my rear view mirror and see some numpty is hacking along like an unobservent/distracted nut too fast behind me.

I understand and sympathize with your situation Botach; sorry to hear it.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 23:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:

I understand and sympathize with your situation Botach; sorry to hear it.

It's ok ,Tone - clutch is ok- it's my CV joints that's giving up,especially the off side one :D .( You know the song -hip bone is conected to the .... .Mine is but it's objecting .I'm Scots,part Irish- possible devolution problems :D ).
I've got a solution to parking problems-it's a red child seat . :wink:

But next time you're in a supermarket .take note of how many times you have to avoiding action . I apply the same rules in there as on the road -keep a weather eye open for numpties., and if in doubt ,stop. That foxes them .They either go nowhere or have to go round me.
I did hear of a motorbike cop saying that even with B & 2 ,he'd get cut up .
Tale from an old boss was of his time in London. He was signalling superviser in some BR depot, and one lad came in late . He biked in in full orange Hi Viz. He'd been knocked off his bike . Driver's excuse -SMIDSY.