It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 19:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tone's new cat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 09:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
Becks, my cat, is about as animated as one of those fake things in a basket with battery powered lungs. Nice to stroke though and I think she has had a hard life.

I think really with an elderly cat a bit of stroking and purring is about all you can reasonably expect :)

But hopefully after a while she might show a bit of interest in you which you might even interpret as affection ;)
:lol: You make me sound like I've got a heart of stone Peter :whome: :D

Yep, she's a good purrer/snorer. Did the first time outdoors in the garden yesterday. That was a nail-biter. My sis had her on a piece of string. 2nd run later today. God knows what I do if she doesn't come back...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 22:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What do folk here do for pet insurance?

Just been on a site to 'compare' what the premium would be for Becks and it varies from between £40 per year to £400! :o

In other words about £3.50 a month to something costing more than I could get private health care for myself! (Whats that about?)

I'm a little surprised that the pdsa and rspca are in the top of most expensive, considering they are regarded as the ultimate animal care, and caring, and should know the human animal can love animals without necessarily being the owner of the deepest pockets. :(

Best so far is Animal Friends and they seem to have a genuine love and concern. :bow:

Haven't heard of them before :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
You'll find that older animals cost more. ( Surprise surprise ). I'm entitled to PDSA care as an OAP, but few times I've been there ,I'm surprised to see how many exotic pedigree dogs are there, and the bling factor of some of the owners. I tend to use a local vet for preventative treatment ( jabs etc),as it costs much the same as PDSA, and the vet is local.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 23:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
I'm entitled to PDSA care as an OAP,
What, they look after you instead of the NHS or BURPA? :hehe:

botach wrote:
You'll find that older animals cost more. ( Surprise surprise ).
Yes mate, they ask that question but I don't know how old she is exactly, as I'm sure many inherited pet owners wouldn't. I could be a couple of years out...

I've had to guesstimate, for what It's worth and means. So for the sake of the quote I put her birthday the same as mine but in 2002 :D

She fussed my neighbor, Sue, earlier like the biggest love in her life! She's MY cat and lives with ME but where's my fuss? :x

What is it about me that repels all females? (Don't answer that) :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 23:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
botach wrote:

Having had BURPA care when at work - I'd sooner have PDSA treatment. And unlike the NHS, getting old is not an excuse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 00:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
botach wrote:

Having had BURPA care when at work - I'd sooner have PDSA treatment. And unlike the NHS, getting old is not an excuse.
Aint that the truth Dave!

I also once read, heard, that Vets go through more training and education than a regular GP.

Sounds about right, given anything could come through the door from a lizard to a camel...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 19:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
botach wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
botach wrote:

Aint that the truth Dave!

I also once read, heard, that Vets go through more training and education than a regular GP.

Sounds about right, given anything could come through the door from a lizard to a camel...

Possibly an urban myth, possibly not, that vets can treat humans, but GP etc cannot treat pets .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 04:45 
Site Admin

She looks sweet.
The tail end thing is that she is showing you trust. Animals flanks and power end (rear legs) is their most important section to protect, so when offered is a sign of friendship / trust.
Read into it what you will ... :ol: (or not ...)

I rarely bother with insurance and just try and save some money for those unexpected bills... happily very rare for me anyway.

There are all sorts of stroking animals being good for both parties ... :) so good it is all working out ... ! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
She looks sweet.
The tail end thing is that she is showing you trust. Animals flanks and power end (rear legs) is their most important section to protect, so when offered is a sign of friendship / trust.
Read into it what you will ... :ol: (or not ...)
I didn't think of it like that. In human culture it has somewhat more negative connotations of course. :D

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I rarely bother with insurance and just try and save some money for those unexpected bills... happily very rare for me anyway.
My friend recently had to have his cat put down on a Saturday by a vet. Cost him £250! (I know a postman who would have done it for nothing).

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
There are all sorts of stroking animals being good for both parties ... :) so good it is all working out ... ! :)
I'd rather be stroking a pretty wench at times, but all the women I know are either ugly, gay or hitched :P

Becks did my head in yesterday; bogged off over the garden somewhere. This time I didn't have her on a lead. After an age I started looking over hedges on top of my ladder, making silly noises and calling her name :doh:

After an hour I saw the neighbour opposite; an elderly half deaf woman who has two cats herself I could see plus one stray, so she told me.

I explained my situation and said I've been calling and worried and "have you seen a tortoise cat?". So she walks out of view and comes back in sight with my cat in her hands. :shock: "Is this her?" She says with a big smile on her face :doh:

There's me pulling my last hair out and all the time Becks is partying with some new friends :banghead: I actually was worried those other cats would fight her because she, the new kid on the block, was on their 'patch' :?

Phew!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 20:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:

Becks did my head in yesterday; bogged off over the garden somewhere. This time I didn't have her on a lead. After an age I started looking over hedges on top of my ladder, making silly noises and calling her name :doh:

Phew!

Careful - only takes one tabloid journalist hearing that to come up with a "story" . :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 21:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Careful - only takes one tabloid journalist hearing that to come up with a "story" . :D
I'm not famous Botach, so I'd just be a weirdo in the neighborhood :D

It's 9:20 pm and I've no idea where she is.

"Get a cat" they said. "Good for de-stressing" they said. :doh:

I've got my back sliding door open, been out a million times this evening calling for her. Got the cat flap/door done today. (fecken faff that was!).

Thanks for the 'get a cat' routine!!!!!!!!!!

Add. She just got back... ( fecken phew )

It's like having a child, you worry and feel responsible for anything, and everything, that happens!

Never again...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 22:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whoops - next post- "Tone's new catS "( As in -take two hares,with no cares) :D .Have you got that cat flap linked to your cat's id tag?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 22:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stop messin' wiv me Botach! I'm worried over here :(

In my life, we have always had animals... Dog, cat, bird, chicken...

My daughter had a rat, called Pip, when she was a sprog. Never got why so many hate a rats tbh
:?

If something feels pain, or knows loss, shouldn't the compassionate human animal empathise?...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 23:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Stop messin' wiv me Botach! I'm worried over here :(

Soz ,Tone. Trying to make light of the situation. Know the feeling,as we had one dog that used to forget way home. But she's possibly just meeting up with the neighbours she met the other day ,and will come home when she's ready. The comment on the cat flap was just a thought. Without any control ,you might get more cats in than you bargain for. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 23:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We're cool Botach :)

Just got into bed, at last!

Thinking about it, my situation, cats are nocturnal :doh:

So what that means to any cat owner is.... Our biological clocks are opposite!

Why didn't someone warn me????

:)

In my bed right now, alone. I bet Mick Jagger or Paul Mc Cartney isn't... :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 09:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well - trying to get a cat to use a cat flap for the first time is fun! :doh:

Any more problems I should know about? :banghead:

And fitting the Damn flap to the door was a faff! Don't trust the template btw :banghead: And don't touch the jigsaw blade when it breaks off in the door. It gets very hot! :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Well - trying to get a cat to use a cat flap for the first time is fun! :doh:

Any more problems I should know about? :banghead:

(

As said- is flap restricted to your cat, before she invites some friends round for a midnight party :D ( Or they invite themselves :roll: ).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 21:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
As said- is flap restricted to your cat, before she invites some friends round for a midnight party :D ( Or they invite themselves :roll: ).
Ah yes, meant to reply to that soz.

I've run up a ton of debt doing my house up so I really couldn't afford anything. So I got the basic type. Anything magnetic or coded started at £35!

I think I'm right that one with a magnet will fit the same hole/template I've hacked out if I stick to the same manufacturer, so maybe next month when I get paid.

I've read a bit on getting them used to flaps and used my brain :idea: My friend just shoved his cat through with his hand behind the cats bum, which is what I tried and failed at.

But I've tied the flap up to keep it always open, put some grub by it and, (my idea), dropped lots of catnip inside. She's just, 5 mins ago, gone out I think. More worry...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 22:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
Thinking about it, my situation, cats are nocturnal :doh:

To be precise, I think they're "crepuscular", i.e. most active around dawn and dusk.

Big Tone wrote:
So what that means to any cat owner is.... Our biological clocks are opposite!

Why didn't someone warn me????

This seems to sum it up ;)

http://catversushuman.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -tame.html

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 22:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:lol: That's brilliant Peter thanks :D And sooo true!

Mine got me worried at 4ish in the morning to start with cuz I heard her running around downstairs and howling. But she was just full of beans and attention seeking.

She used to sleep on my bed too, which made me feel loved, but she's independent now and walks off or hides when I enter the room. (Sounds like every other female I met once hitting adolescence) :lol:

"Crepuscular"? I'll have to look that one up. :) (Sounds like someone addicted to pancakes to me :P. )