Site Admin

Take note, on the bike or in the car
this might just save you one of those
"Sorry mate I didn't see you" moments.
NAM members Alan Mason and Bruce Chilton
passed this on so I'll not take the credit
a classic explanation of target fixation
Read on .....
Same thing can happen when you are driving!

This is frightening! It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can look right at you
(when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle)---AND NOT SEE YOU. From a former Naval Aviator. This is a great
illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s.
We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being
told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object.

The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes
moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards
(like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because
the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time.

Click on the link below for a demonstration ... http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html
I have been thinking recently about 'how I look' ahead for hazard on the road and this has landed in my inbox at a perfect moment ... I can say that I have used a forward side to side and glance motions to try to 'see' as best as possible. How do you scan ?

Profile Send private message