The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 06:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Showmystreet.com
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 20:54 
Site Admin

Is this frightening or fun ?

http://showmystreet.com/

I had to put in a fair bit before it came up with the location but it did work ! Where does this take us in the future ! :scratchchin:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Showmystreet.com
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 21:15 

Cool but I only need one extra character to get the same result direct from Google.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 08:23 
User

It is google.
With a middleman.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 
Site Admin

How do you think the 'middleman' manages to (even) make it work so fast even on my old slow laptop though ?
It's just rapid ! (when it can find a place!) I tried a friends and I ended up putting in the entire address before it found it ! So it has to be 'how' it has addresses listed but it did take me on a World Tour first ! :lol:

When I have had addresses that are hard to spell over the phone it has been in the background of my thoughts how good it would be to have an 'instant' reference to help. Although post codes helped a bit it never solved it.
When Paul died the ambulance couldn't find us. I have made requests to have a new post code and I am entitled but they still haven't done it yet !

So is this the first section of an address might enable the rest of it to be viewed too in time.

Does this remove more of our privacy as it becomes so readily available ? Or is it really just a handy tool to locate destinations and provide a visual reference almost instantly (not that my Sta Nav can't already do this bit)?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 20:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
When Paul died the ambulance couldn't find us. I have made requests to have a new post code and I am entitled but they still haven't done it yet !

Know the problem,as ( now some years back) at work, we'd often be in the middle of nowhere, and possibly a mile or two from where we got on track.And if we needed medical help, we'd no real reference point. Saying that, I've decided to get up north one ( possibly last time). And now that we've got an addition to the family ( rescued Cairn Terrier) ,we're restricted in places to stay, around my chosen area, Fort William. The one we've found has directions, and a post code. The directions mean something to me ,as at one time this section of the A82, was part of my telecomms patch. The postcode, leads me to someone's garden ,as the post code area is that wide.

Problem is that at post code time, unless you were lucky enough to have an ex postman promoted to Postal & Telegraph Officer doing the post coding, ( someone who'd delivered in that area and knew the area well) ,the term post code lottery was in effect what happened.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 02:10 

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
How do you think the 'middleman' manages to (even) make it work so fast even on my old slow laptop though ?

Because all your old slow laptop is doing is sending the text to the hugely powerful servers, they do all the work and send you the images back.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 
User

Showmystreet is a google add-on.
You bring it up...then you type something like "9" and it comes back with something to do with "9" that is related to an address...like "9th Avenue" and a picture.
Your laptop is only sending "9" to a dedicated server....the server responds with the picture and map.
Your laptop is only acting as a remote terminal.
The initial showmystreet "home" page has minimal graphics and is only a search window.
It doesn't do so good if you paste an entire address in at once.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:50 
Site Admin

For the example I ran i placed the address in slowly and it did take me on an interesting tour ... settling on the UK after a short period ... :)
Thanks for all the info ... about what I thought ... :lol: