Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 02:26 
Site Admin

Craig Poulton wrote:
Prevent Metric Speed Limits and Road Signs. Stop Km/h on British Roads. Keep MPH

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We the undersigned propose that speed limits should remain in MPH and road signs must continue to use Miles and Yards. Nearly all UK drivers are opposed to metric road signs and most people think in MPH when concerning speed and Miles when measuring distances. This has been concluded in multiple surveys over the years. In 1998 the AA conducted a survey in which 83% of 18-24 year olds were opposed to Km/h + distances measured in Km. It would also cost around £565 million according to the Department of Transport to replace these perfectly good signs. Money that could be spent on improving the road infrastructure and road safety. Also the hassle to the average motorist of having to learn a new system and facing potential speeding fines will cause confusion, danger and anger. By converting road signs and speed limits to metric Km and Km/h, we are destroying our culture and traditions that date back thousands of years. If we do so, we might as well drive on the right like the rest of Europe
Whilst I am not against change, I do think that the costs do not end at the direct 're-signing', and all the publications and products that become out of date, if this is introduced. The cost too of educating all road users will also be considerable.
I don't see the point in changing something to simply match someone else when there is no safety perceivable benefit.
If this Country is genuinely short of funds then this would be a huge slap in the face to implement this un-necessary alteration. (minor editing)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 19:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Yes, complete waste of money. However, not realistically going to happen in the forseeable future.

Regardless of cost, in reality governments won't do it because it would win them no votes and result in almighty political rows both with those people who don't want it done in principle, and those who want to use it to engineer a wholesale reduction of speed limits. BRAKE etc would inevitably wet their pants at the prospect of the default urban speed limit rising by a whole 3.5% :o

Anyone who is a member of SABRE can read 20 tedious pages of discussion on the subject here :roll:

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... 14&t=29085

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 20:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
PeterE wrote:
Yes, complete waste of money. However, not realistically going to happen in the forseeable future.

I agree, but possibly the cost of the last round of limit cuts, and the voters disapproval would be more of a warning. Locally ,I think a lot of county councillors are getting worried over the next set of elections ,as the cuts set in .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:58 
User

Quite.
Tried the rest, now I'll vote for anyone not aligned to a "party".
Face it, all their snouts are stuffed in troughs....usually money-filled troughs.
We're only two years into this mob, and they've managed the impossible....a police service actively talking of striking.
And of course, we now have aircraft carriers with no aircraft to carry.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing