Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 03:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 19:40 
Offline
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 19:48
Posts: 1995
http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Solicitor-Guilty-Of-Perverting-Course-of-Justice-_34557.html

_________________
now retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 00:31 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7355
Location: Highlands
Hertfordshire Constabulary
Solicitor Guilty Of Perverting Course of Justice
Fri, 10 June 2011 Courtesy of: Hertfordshire Constabulary
Solicitor Guilty Of Perverting Course of Justice

A 48-year-old solicitor has been found guilty of two counts of perverting the course of justice after trying to evade fines from speed cameras.
Neale Simmons, from Wickets End in Shenley, was charged with perverting the course of justice on November 24 2009. This was following two separate incidents, one in August 2008 and another in April 2009, where he was caught breaking the speed limit by speed cameras in Hertfordshire.

When he received notices from the Safety Camera Partnership Unit about prosecution for these offences, Simmons downloaded a series of letters from the internet designed to help motorists avoid prosecution.
“This is a serious crime which could result in a custodial sentence”
Also, one man nominated was from Florida in the USA and had not been in the UK at the time of either offences. This information was verified by the US Embassy and Homeland Security.
Simmons pleaded not guilty to both offences in court on Tuesday May 31.

Following a three-day trial, Simmons was found unanimously guilty by the jury of 12 at St Albans Crown Court.

PC Bill Owens, investigating from the Criminal Justice Department, said: "This is a serious crime which could result in a custodial sentence. Anyone who uses these letters will be investigated. These letters are designed for one reason only - to avoid prosecution.
"I will use every intelligence tool and contact I have to investigate this type of crime and bring those guilty to justice.
He added: "This court result sends a very strong message that anyone who tries to evade speed camera prosecutions will be caught and dealt with robustly."

Simmons is due to be sentenced later this month.
Astounding that he thought 'the letters' were capable of negating a charge and to then lie (re other people), seems utterly disgraceful behaviour. No doubt his career is over ...
I guess like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:41 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 14:26
Posts: 4364
Location: Hampshire/Wiltshire Border
Quote:
PC Bill Owens said... "I will use every intelligence tool and contact I have to investigate this type of crime and bring those guilty to justice.

A valid use of scarce police resources?

_________________
Malcolm W.
The views expressed in this post are personal opinions and do not represent the views of Safespeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 18:05 
Offline
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 19:48
Posts: 1995
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.



so why did you take such a keen interest in the proceedings at Heywood Heath

_________________
now retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 22:48 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:49
Posts: 76
camera operator wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.



so why did you take such a keen interest in the proceedings at Heywood Heath


What has this got to do with Haywards Heath?

The Haywards Heath case was a disgrace to justice and the law

The prosecution evidence was in parts inaccurate and misleading, evidence after this trial was found that confirms this.

However it was the decision of the defendant not to continue any further in this case, due to his age and wanting to get on with the rest of his life

Had this case been Judically reviewed legal opinion is that serious reprocussion, for the prosecution, would have occurred

Those that were in court will know what I mean, anyone who was not in court cannot comment on what was said or what happened as all they have is secondhand information or hearsay.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 04:45 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7355
Location: Highlands
camera operator wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.

so why did you take such a keen interest in the proceedings at Heywood Heath
What makes you say that?

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 04:47 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7355
Location: Highlands
malcolmw wrote:
Quote:
PC Bill Owens said... "I will use every intelligence tool and contact I have to investigate this type of crime and bring those guilty to justice.

A valid use of scarce police resources?
Blind belief ... sadly.

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 13:06 
Offline
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 19:48
Posts: 1995
timtjf wrote:


The Haywards Heath case was a disgrace to justice and the law

The prosecution evidence was in parts inaccurate and misleading, evidence after this trial was found that confirms this.
.


in what way

Quote:
Those that were in court will know what I mean, anyone who was not in court cannot comment on what was said or what happened as all they have is secondhand information or hearsay


is that when you had a tantrum "you must believe me, its maths"

_________________
now retired


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 17:55 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:49
Posts: 76
camera operator wrote:
timtjf wrote:


The Haywards Heath case was a disgrace to justice and the law

The prosecution evidence was in parts inaccurate and misleading, evidence after this trial was found that confirms this.
.


in what way

Quote:
Those that were in court will know what I mean, anyone who was not in court cannot comment on what was said or what happened as all they have is secondhand information or hearsay


is that when you had a tantrum "you must believe me, its maths"


Were you in court?, if you were not then you do not know what was said. There are no transcripts and no recordng in magistrates courts, so unless Camera Operator has ESP the very best you have is hearsay

But I should know that hearsay, and probably ESP, is enough evidence to convict in speeding cases


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 18:55 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 09:58
Posts: 3
it is nothing to do with a police scarce resourse... we all have a job to do and it looks like he did a good job... if you drive you know the law of the road... so why not abide by it or is that out of your capability. :drive1:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 21:35 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:07
Posts: 248
Depends if certain aspects of that law have been perverted for financial gain, are out of touch with reality or largely ignored by the majority. Policing is by consent of the people, after all. Or supposedly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:41 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 18:54
Posts: 4036
Location: Cumbria
Billyboyz wrote:
it is nothing to do with a police scarce resourse... we all have a job to do and it looks like he did a good job... if you drive you know the law of the road... so why not abide by it or is that out of your capability. :drive1:


Ah, but that's a separate argument. There's the school of thought that says it shouldn't be done because it's dangerous / harmful in some way, and then there's the school of thought that says it shouldn't be done "because it's against the law". Of course, the action concerned might fit into both categories, but not always. Over the years we've had many laws that have been at best, outdated and irrelevant, at worst, downright wrong. Often the authorities only really take notice and change or repeal laws that are not fit for purpose, when levels of mass disobedience get so high that the law becomes a standing joke and public respect for it is lost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 16:00 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 00:15
Posts: 5232
Location: Windermere
Billyboyz wrote:
it is nothing to do with a police scarce resourse... we all have a job to do and it looks like he did a good job... if you drive you know the law of the road... so why not abide by it or is that out of your capability. :drive1:

Do YOU drive? Do you know ALL the laws of the road?

Construction and use? I would be very surprised if ANYONE knows ALL the laws of the road!

_________________
Time to take responsibility for our actions.. and don't be afraid of speaking out!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 18:54
Posts: 4036
Location: Cumbria
Absolutely! I'd wager that a great many people who have put 5 people and some luggage in a hatchback will have been unwittingly overloaded! The manufacturers are legally obliged to allow 68kg per person and 7kg of luggage per person. I've weighed a fair few small MPVs in the course of my job and I know a number that are not too much better than the bare minimum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 23:01 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7355
Location: Highlands
Billyboyz wrote:
it is nothing to do with a police scarce resourse... we all have a job to do and it looks like he did a good job... if you drive you know the law of the road... so why not abide by it or is that out of your capability. :drive1:

:welcome: Billyboyz

It is sad when some of those who are meant to uphold the Law break it. This sadly adds to the already fairly wide rift that the police / public relationship has already descended to.
I would have thought that he should have known better really!
Perhaps he was desperate? Who knows!
Certainly he has lost it now, and rightly so.

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.852s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]