It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 19:53 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

You couldn't make it up:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-centra ... -scotland/

:rotfl:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 21:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
They don't get it do they ?
This batch of wind is not some wierde change of climate .I grew up a bit further north than Ardrossan ,on the west coast .One of my memories is of seeing how fast I could get up to on my cycle ,down one hill . I managed approx 45 ,on my ancient Smiths speedo .I remember times when I struggled to pedal down the same hill,and on return ,sailed up same hill .Force 10-12 were not uncommon .I've still got the certificate my late father got from RNLI when a German freighter was blown onto rocks on the isle of Rhum .I've seen the film taken from a local fishing boat where the strength of the wind can be judged .Did no one ever wonder why there's no trees on the outer hebrides - according to mates when I was at school with blokes from out there ,all the trees were felled by some invader ,and due to the wind strength nothing can grow .Yet there was an idea to site a windfarm on one of the islands -think it was Lewis ,somewhere near Stornoway ,which was met by a large scale complaint .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 
User

Yes, I remember when we used to have REAL snow that lasted for WEEKS on end.

We made this "Cresta Run" on the sides of Kirkstone Pass in early January and this picture was taken 6 weeks later in February.
Each time we went up, we spent more time adding banking.. so you can imagine the speeds we got up to by the height up the bank!!

That is the bench seat cushion out of a Transit Crew Bus inside a plastic bag by the way!

We now are lucky to get snow that lasts 6 days - and when we do, it is all the fault of gas guzzling motorcars. For some reason diesel trains, generators, home heating oil, coal gas and oil burning power stations hardly get a look in!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 20:44 
Site Admin

A few more that caught fire - they do this regularly. I gather that apart from other problems the oil is not withstanding the heat that gets generated !
Why they insist on following an uneconomic concept is tragic, considering all the many problems that they cause !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQrtXx3aJdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyQD83NLDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSOyFDD9w7I

They regularly fail ans need a complete upgrade after 25 yrs so hardly long term!
They have ruined the fantastic scenery all over the UK and especially at SSI sites (placed right next to the boundaries!). All for profits and to heck with the consequences or damage done. Each one sits on 22 tons of concrete, have destroyed many peat bogs, and they have created massive new roads up previously untouched mountainsides and scenery. And there was an 'outcry' to the BBC when Top Gear drove up a hillside in a 4x4 !

The wind was pretty bad the other day too ...

Why they don't give up on these and use wave generation that work 24/7 are unaffected by wind and weather and can be subtly placed on the coast and so easy to link up to the National Grid ... and are very economic as they produce Gigawatts not megawatts!
There is finally one installed on the Isle of Islay so hopefully they will sue more and more!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 21:05 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

My dad just made a funny comment: " It wouldnt be so bad if they put them in the North sea, when they catch fire they will fall over and put themselves out" :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 22:49 
User

Quote:
Each one sits on 22 tons of concrete

I thought it was considerably more than that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 04:06 
Site Admin

Steve wrote:
My dad just made a funny comment: " It wouldnt be so bad if they put them in the North sea, when they catch fire they will fall over and put themselves out" :D
... :) and they drown and then they start to turn into a marine environmental host !
The have several 'offshore' windfarms, but they still catch fire and still only produce a pittance (mW) of power when wavegens produce GW.

Dusty wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Each one sits on 22 tons of concrete
I thought it was considerably more than that!
Well I guess that is about 5 or 6yrs old now and they are producing massive monstrosity wind farms now so yes it probably is double it ... I will see if I can find out!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 17:03 
Site Admin

Another 3 wind turbines are destroyed - these are v small one's though ! Just 15ft blades flying through the air!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ieces.html
Daily Mail - Tamara Cohen wrote:
Wrecked by gales again as windfarms get £300,000 to switch off...in high winds
By Tamara Cohen - Last updated at 11:29 PM on 6th January 2012

15ft-long turbine blades flew off three structures in 112mph winds
Concerned villagers fear someone could have been killed

First there were the wind farms that had to be shut down if it got a bit blowy.

Then there was the turbine that burst into flames in a gale a month ago.

And now three turbines have been wrecked in the latest bout of rough weather – sweeping away any remaining illusions that strong winds simply mean more electricity being generated.
Danger: The firm which made these damaged turbines in the Hepworth and Upper Cumberworth areas of Huddersfield has promised a full investigation after villagers saw blades being flung off in high winds

One of them stands – rather forlornly now – off a country road called Windmill Lane.
The damage raises yet more questions about the ability of such machines to cope with serious weather, let alone produce very much electricity.

Adding to such concerns will be the revelation yesterday that wind farms in Scotland were paid nearly £300,000 in the first five days of this year to close down because it was too windy.

The three damaged turbines all stand within a mile of one another in the countryside around Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

The one in Windmill Lane in the village of Upper Cumberworth lost one of its three blades, and another in the same village lost two.
What a complete waste of time and money ! Usually one has to develop a product that is fit for purpose however these turbines are non economic, highly wasteful, potentially harmful, annoying and frustrating to humans and many flying creatures.

Why they never invested more into wave turbines that do not have many of the issues that wind turbines have is baffling.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 18:49 
User

Quote:
Usually one has to develop a product that is fit for purpose

Ahh, but they are fit for purpose! The purpose being the funneling of large amounts of public money into the pockets of wealthy land owners and international corporations.....:(