Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 23:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Looking around for xmas ,we decided to check out film for our APS camera .Aparently in last fewmonths ,the plug has been puled on the APS (ADVANTIX ) system ,and film is not available in (name a source) shops.
We like the camera -great for point an shoot snaps of the grandkids
Anyone into phots know where we can get some at a reasonable price .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 23:33 
User

You are looking for film!

Real film!

With chemicals!??!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Do you develop your own??

Oh, Sorry, I dont know of any supplies! I was just soo impressed than anybody would be asking....!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dusty wrote:
You are looking for film!

Real film!

With chemicals!??!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Do you develop your own??

Oh, Sorry, I dont know of any supplies! I was just soo impressed than anybody would be asking....!

OK - WELL THANKS -if you can't help , please join the trogs under the bridge . :tumbleweed:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:41 
User

A quick search on Ebay should I would imagine unearth plenty :D

Edited to say, yup just do a search on Ebay for "APS Film" and quite a few come up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-5-films-APS-/220886495707?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item336ddc71db

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 13:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Me too Zipps, on Amazon

P.S. I thought Dusty was being sincere Dave. I too think it's nice that the old stuff hasn't completely died a death yet. I inhereted a couple of fantastic cameras using the old technology; very expensive in their day. :cloud9:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Me too Zipps, on Amazon

P.S. I thought Dusty was being sincere Dave. I too think it's nice that the old stuff hasn't completely died a death yet. I inhereted a couple of fantastic cameras using the old technology; very expensive in their day. :cloud9:

Looking back -yep -Ii agree -Dusty ,please accept my sincere apologies .
Tried a digital - not really impressed ,and I've got a Canon ixus z50 sitting waiting for film .Be a shame to ditch that one , was dad's -an expensive camera in it's day .( oNLY A FEW YEARS OLD)
Tried amazon -only one I saw was a 40 exp one at £20 --bit OTT .( 25s were only about £5 tops ).
Will have a look on ebay .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 16:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Found some on ebay ,but most is Ireland/States .Anyone know if Paypal charges commision on changing currency ?, or if any problems .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 17:47 
User

From memory ... this might be out of date .... PayPal get exchange rate from two wholesalers daily and add 2.5% on. I'd recon the exchange rate would be pretty uncompetitive really. But if goods cheap enough WTH :D

As long as Ebay seller has good feedback and plenty of it shouldn't have any probs really. I've bought stuff from all over including Hong Kong (bought a very nice lens from there recently at a great price) and never had a duff deal yet. Have a friend who got stung, but he bought (well he actually didn't cos the item didn't exist!!) from someone with a pile of nice expensive stuff for sale but no feedback ... common sense required.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 18:56 
User

Quote:

Accepted, No problem..

I used to do a bit of my own many years ago though never really got into colour. I can remember starting off doing contact prints using 127 film taken with an ancient kodak camera.

A bit later I got a bit more sophisticated using a neat little enlarger made by Zenith (Russian, it disassembled and packed neatly into a little attache case! I wonder where they got the idea for that.... ;) )

I feel sorry for young people today, the technology is easier to use and in many ways much more versitile, but I cannot help but feel that somehow the magic is gone! Photoshop is never going to beat the experiance of watching a picture appear on the paper in a bath of dev! (Or the experiance of knowing that there is no "Undo" button! If you dont get it right first time, you wont get it at all!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 19:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dusty wrote:
Quote:

Accepted, No problem..

Phew -after Tone spoke up , I looked again -I'd missed the smilies .
Tried igital ,it has it's merits - you can check what you've taken ,but I feel it still has a bit to go ,unless you want to spend .Never got into developing .
What I'm after is APS film and it'sgetting harder to find any film ,except for 35mm .APS -comes in a sealed can -stick it in ,camera does rest .I've had too many problems over years with roll film cameras , from 127 Brownie to 35mm .Still got my 35mm ,but to get same quality as with APS needs a massive complicated camera.My little Canon IXUS Z50 (dad bought approx a year before he had a stroke an loved it) makes it easy ,an I feel that he' have like me to keep using it .Found some reasonable priced on ebay -if it goes for a reasonable price I'll ake it .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 20:17 
User

Amateurs...! :hehe:

I have processed colour and black and white, film and prints, and even Kodak E6 for slides! :book:

My favourite process was Cibachrome - you have never seen such vibrant and permanent colour!
It was only finally superseded in 2010 by a digital replacement for commercial purposes!

However, from a time and money point of view, you just cannot compete with digital if your darkroom is now the kids bedroom! :violin:

If anyone is really keen enough (some may say silly enough - they have to me) to try colour printing the hard way, just drop me a line - I have a Philips Tri-colour Head enlarger (but no 6x6 cm condenser lens), colour analyser and various bits of kit just sat gathering dust in my bedroom cupboard.
I'm sure my wife would welcome the extra space to store even more handbags and shoes! :roll:

I still get to see an image appear before my eyes every day - albeit a graphic arts type image stencil on brass sheet! :thumbsup:

Botach - if you find a decent quantity of APS film, bulk buy and keep it in the fridge or freezer.
Just remember to take it out 24 hours in advance and leave it somewhere cool to recover before you load it, that way you can lengthen or ignore the expiry date on the box.

Now... I must go and dust off my Box Brownie, and find that old roll of 620 film....!
Or should I use the 120 film in the Gnome 120 Deluxe...!

You all think I am joking don't you! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 20:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Amateurs...! :hehe:

Botach - if you find a decent quantity of APS film, bulk buy and keep it in the fridge or freezer.
Just remember to take it out 24 hours in advance and leave it somewhere cool to recover before you load it, that way you can lengthen or ignore the expiry date on the box.

Did that last time -got a few 40 exp from Boots for 50p- almost out of date -
stuck them in fridge .All were OK.Used them and now find nobody wants film cameras ,and I've tried digital and reckon you need to spend sheds to get similar to my Canon .Only disadvantage is that you get to see what you've taken immediately with digital .I get my stuff on CD from asda as well as hard copy ,so any reprints of any size I do myself .

Now... I must go and dust off my Box Brownie, and find that old roll of 620 film....!
Or should I use the 120 film in the Gnome 120 Deluxe...!

You all think I am joking don't you! :D [/quote]

Still got an old Instamatic and a Brownie 127,and of course my massive 35mm .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 21:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

To err is human, to forgive divine. :wink: We're in good company Botach and I'm glad you started the thread :)

Here’s my photography/camera résumé..

In 1978ish a work-bud was selling his old 35mm Pentax Asahi S1, (with separate light meter), to buy a Ricoh. The S3 went up, or down rather, to 1000th of a second but mine was a 500th. I think that was the main difference.

I paid him £5 for it, (a steal in those days), and I still treasure it to this day. This is before bayonet fit lenses but it is without doubt the camera I have taken the most wonderful pictures with ever, (after they came back in the post of course). :tumbleweed:

My ex Mother-in-Law bred Cocker Spaniels at the time, for a very long time, and I took the bestist photo ever of one of the litters in circa 79. Never work with children or animals!. :banghead:

But it was worth it in the end. I made all sorts of silly python-est eeks and verbal farts until I hit one where they all stopped playing about and looked up straight at me. Snap! It’s the best shot I’ve ever taken of a moment in time of random animal antics caught in a blissfully innocent unaware ‘hang it on a wall for dog lovers' picture. She used it in a doggy paper where she got lots of praise and had a big name in that world. She did give me credit for it, to her credit. I’ll see if I can dig it up some time...

From my late brother I have a Pentax Asahi K100 and a Pentax MZ-7, which brings things more up to date, but my first introduction was when he bought one back in the days when man was landing on the moon and I was soo envious. It was a Russian Zenit-E; built like a brick S house with a mechanical shutter mechanism that leaves you in no doubt you just took a picture.

I’m looking at it now as I write, real leather cover and a beautiful piece of history for me during the Cold War when Brezhnev ruled with an iron fist.

We thought that was bad, but just look at the world we have now... :(

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 22:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone said
Quote:
to buy a Ricoh.

Not the one in Coventry :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 14:38 

Could you ask one of our friendly scamera partnership chappies where they get theirs from? They must use plenty! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 18:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
Could you ask one of our friendly scamera partnership chappies where they get theirs from? They must use plenty! :wink:

:clap:Info tells me that it's the cheap & nasty 35mm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 21:35 
Site Admin

I know that I still have several rolls of 35mm film (for my old OM10) camera ... I can't imagine that I'll use them again. But if they are going for that much money these days its very tempting to sell them ! Perhaps keep one back !

While on the subject of film does anyone know of a 16mm cine film developer 7 to DVD / flash etc please ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 21:57 
User

Quote:
My favourite process was Cibachrome - you have never seen such vibrant and permanent colour!

Actually, did try cibachrome once, Nasty chemicals IIRC! :shock: but as you say, beautiful prints....Once I had figured out that it was a "Totally" reversal process! (IE if it looks overexposed-one needs to expose it for longer! :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 00:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did a shuffle on e bay and found found a lot of advantix stuff going cheap . As one poster said, it's good to keep in the fridge, for a lot of years. Something I've done for years . So now I've got stacks of the stuff .So you may want to consider this post closed . Many thanks for all contributing.
I've still got my old 35mm camera, but after using the advantix one, will I ever return to it. I doubt it.