Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 04:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seen today..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 16:54 
User

A speed camera van with a camera roof-mounted, following cars through town, with a speed camera mounted in the front looking through the w/screen.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Seen today..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 17:01 
User

Where abouts was that? There are in London e.g. Southwark, Kingston, few other boroughs where they used Smart cars with roof mounted 360 degree cameras for parking mainly and minor traffic enforcement (box junctions etc.) I do not think they do speed as far as I am aware. They have the camera sign on them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 16:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Saw something similar ( think I saw an item it beeing trialed ) a few years ago on Loch Lomond side between Dunbarton & Arrocher on the A82.This was Sprinter sized with some form of camera dome on a rotatable turn table .What rew my attention was that it was parked in the "SCP type of spot"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:15 
User

botach wrote:
What rew my attention was that it was parked in the "SCP type of spot"

I'd guess that would be at the safest overtaking spot for miles :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 15:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zippo wrote:
botach wrote:

:drink:
Parked in a layby ,actually ,but on a nice "get passed the plonker ,before the bad section " straight .( if you know the A82 a bit north) :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 16:50 
User

botach wrote:
Zippo wrote:
botach wrote:

:drink:
Parked in a layby ,actually ,but on a nice "get passed the plonker ,before the bad section " straight .( if you know the A82 a bit north) :clap:

I know that bit of the A82 well, fortunately I'm usually on it after 7pm when the SCP have got hungry and gone home :D

Over the years I've seen quite a few sphincter puckering moments on that road, almost without exception due to dodgy overtakes. Two incidents on that road made me seriously consider not driving on it ever again. No matter how skilled a driver you are, the loony overtaker can still get you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 21:52 
Site Admin

Yep I think I know that bit too and in between all the severe rocks that line one side and the drops into the Loch the other .... that bit is wide enough for some of the better overtaking sections.
I know people that want that entire road made into a 40mph due to the possibility of deer at a few times of the year ! Talk about over reaction ! they of course don't travel much of it, on it daily or regular timeframe.

The frustration that people experience (and especially those who now very rarely overtake) seems to encourage lack of forethought and wild insane overtakes are now actually executed ! So, for the camera van to sit there is in itself dangerous for road safety.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 19:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Yep I think I know that bit too and in between all the sever rocks that line one side and the drops into the Loch the other .... that bit is wide enough for some of the better overtaking sections.
The frustration that people experience (and especially those who now very rarely overtake) seems to encourage lack of forethought and wild insane overtakes are now actually executed ! So, for the camera van to sit there is in itself dangerous for road safety.

1) The van was sitting in a layby on the new section from the island from (north from )the junction with the road to Balloch , an well short of the Arrochor Hotel
2) IMHO -it's high time that Strathclyde POLICE started to monitor traffc & pillocks to reduce frustration cause by slow drivers ( this is on the evidence of over 40 yrs driving that road). This is more pronounced in the summer months ,when accidents are more common .
Zippo -sorry ,mate -you either go up the A82 or go via Lochearnhead - to me the A82 is the lesser of the two evils .