Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 06:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 19:24 
User

BBC wrote:
The government is proposing the closure of all 39 Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) regional offices, putting more than 1,200 jobs at risk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16158015
[Admin quoting article]
BBC wrote:
DVLA closures plan puts 1,200 jobs at risk
13 December 2011 Last updated at 12:34

The government agency keeps driver and vehicle records Union fears over DVLA office jobs

The government is proposing the closure of all 39 Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) regional offices, putting more than 1,200 jobs at risk.
The closures, due by the end of 2013, could save about £28m a year, it says.

Roads Minister Mike Penning said the plans to move more services online and centralise the DVLA in Swansea would "make dealing
with the DVLA easier".

The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) said the plans "make no economic sense".

The DVLA employs 6,116 staff - 1,213 of whom are potentially affected by the proposed office closures. Consultation with staff began on Tuesday. Unions are also to be consulted.

The proposals affect all 39 regional offices, described by Mr Penning as "expensive".

“It's essential that we move with the times.” Simon Tse DVLA chief executive

They are Beverley in East Yorkshire, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Brighton, Bristol, Carlisle, Chelmsford in Essex, Chester, Exeter, Ipswich, Leeds, Lincoln, Borehamwood in Hertfordshire, Sidcup in south east London, and Wimbledon in south west London.

Maidstone in Kent, Manchester, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northampton, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Preston, Sheffield, Shrewsbury, Stockton-on-Tees, Theale in Berkshire, Truro, Worcester, Bangor in Gwynedd, Cardiff, Swansea, Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness will also be affected.

The regional offices carry out administrative functions such as arranging trade plates for garages, vehicle inspections and personalised registration mark transfers.

Ten of the 39 offices affected by the announcement are also home to regional enforcement centres.
'Choice and flexibility'
Mr Penning said: "Centralising the DVLA's services is the first crucial step towards making more of its transactions available online, allowing people to deal with the DVLA at their chosen time and place.
This will mean quicker turnarounds and meet our customers' growing needs."
He said the centralising of services will provide "much more choice and flexibility around how and when motorists deal with the DVLA," including electronically and in partnership with others.

DVLA chief executive Simon Tse said the proposals were a response to the fact that "times change and customers' needs change".
"It's essential that we move with the times and make the best use of our services and experience to make sure we give the motor industry and the general public a service that is fit for the 21st Century."
As part of the proposed changes, a wider range of services will be introduced in Northern Ireland. Motorists there do not currently have access to all vehicle services available elsewhere, such as being able to tax a vehicle online.

Leaked plan
Last November, PCS claimed that it had learned of a plan to close 39 DVLA offices from a leaked government document - but the DVLA said no decision had been made at the time.
The PCS said the plans would be "fiercely" resisted, with industrial action very likely.
PCS general secretary Mark Serwotka said: "With unemployment and inflation remaining high, these cuts to local communities are outrageous and unnecessary, and will further weaken economies crying out for investment.
"DVLA senior managers have previously denied this is what they were planning, so to announce it just two weeks before Christmas is insulting and devastating for staff."

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 22:28 

It's a start, abolish VED the cull the DVLA and we might be getting somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 22:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
What HMG fails to realise is that thre's stacks of untaxe vehicles roaming around council estates ( where the police arme with ANPR fail to go ) . Add to that feral groups of off roaders who use both roads and public spaces with impunity to any signs of enforcement . I see the latter on their ( possibly stolen and certainly modified) off roaders when I take my dog through local parks . My only dererrent is a large walking stick .
Abolish VED ,and raise fuel duty by a few pence and problem solved .Again ,there's an incentive to go green/REDUCE consumption . Carrot this time ,not stick .Another advantage - reduction of staff employed to raise / check /oversee VED.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 00:27 

botach wrote:
What HMG fails to realise is that thre's stacks of untaxe vehicles roaming around council estates ( where the police arme with ANPR fail to go ) . Add to that feral groups of off roaders who use both roads and public spaces with impunity to any signs of enforcement . I see the latter on their ( possibly stolen and certainly modified) off roaders when I take my dog through local parks . My only dererrent is a large walking stick .
Abolish VED ,and raise fuel duty by a few pence and problem solved .Again ,there's an incentive to go green/REDUCE consumption . Carrot this time ,not stick .Another advantage - reduction of staff employed to raise / check /oversee VED.

I couldn't agree more. VED is a job creation scheme.

Merge the administration of driving licences with passports.

Then the online administration of v5s and the like........Swansea would certainly be busier during the day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 17:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

civil engineer wrote:

Merge the administration of driving licences with passports.

Thought that was where the Government passport scheme was heading -since it's possible to use one photo for other applications .( Or that was the way I read the scheme when I changed my falling apart paper one for the newer photo one ).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My friend is one who has just been told he will lose his job, which was running a mobile ANPR in and around Birmingham. :(

As you say Botach, that gives the uninsured, untaxed and un-MOT’d free reign to go about their business illegally, relying solely on vigilant traffic police I guess..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 14:39 
Site Admin

I guess this news was a forerunner to this :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25832

The cutting red tape for cars SORN and being able to buy RdFund Licenses online. I guess many older people or those unable to get online are likely to know someone who might be able to help them or a library or online cafe, where they will be able to purchase their license online ...
If it saves the Country money then perhaps it is a good idea?
What other services did they offer that will no longer be available from the Post Office or other facility ?

Whilst I am sorry for your friend's loss of a job, I am pleased that it will mean that the Police will be back on the road, paid to do their job and check for all other issues. I'd rather see a policeman doing a full job than a 'spy car' any day.
Surely we have to show trust in people, and stop all this spying on the public. Not that it is hardly stopping mind, with all the cameras littered everywhere !
If they took VED from the excessive fuel cost already, then it would save everyone and save a massive admin overhead too !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 16:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Whilst I am sorry for your friend's loss of a job I am pleased if it means that the Police will be paid to do their job and check for all other issues, and better back on the road. I'd rather see a policeman doing a full job than a 'spy car' any day.
Well, he did used to be at the roadside on motorbike rallies which is a bit crafty and possibly ‘bikist’, if that’s a word. I’m just sorry for my friend because, at his age, he will soon become unemployed and unemployable. As it was it took years of hardship, after being made redundant, to find that job. :(

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Surely we have to show trust in people and stop all this spying on the public. Not that it is hardly stopping mind, with all the cameras littered everywhere !
Yes, I don’t like a big brother state any more than you really, but at the same time I don’t want some illegally-driving numpty to knock me off; as happened once long ago. (Long story) :cry: The trouble with trust is people will inevitably abuse it; from the humble shoplifter to MP’s expenses.

BTW, taling of VAD’s, I went past one in Walsall the other day which also shows the reg. Kinda freaks you out to see your own reg in lights I can tell you. :o I was in the works car so the penny didn’t drop right away and then I thought “hang on, that looks familiar”. :stupidme:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 17:33 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I guess this news was a forerunner to this :
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25832

The cutting red tape for cars SORN and being able to buy RdFund Licenses online. I guess many older people or those unable to get online are likely to know someone who might be able to help them or a library or online cafe, where they will be able to purchase their license online ...
If it saves the Country money then perhaps it is a good idea?
What other services did they offer that will no longer be available from the Post Office or other facility ?

Whilst I am sorry for your friend's loss of a job I am pleased if it means that the Police will be paid to do their job and check for all other issues, and better back on the road. I'd rather see a policeman doing a full job than a 'spy car' any day.
Surely we have to show trust in people and stop all this spying on the public. Not that it is hardly stopping mind, with all the cameras littered everywhere !
If they took VED from the excessive fuel cost already, then it would save everyone and save a massive admin overhead too !

It would lead to a massive imposition on fuel price, no way they would ever select to cover cost...not in this world.
And then it would be subject to vat.
As for the police doing their job....the "manned" anpr is not needed because there are literally tens of hundreds of anpr system being stuck on anything that stand still........and many more coming soon. Maybe your mate could get a job monitoring cctv as it tickets motorists for parking ?
Why shouldn't police cars do anpr....they have stacks of gear dedicated to information retrieval onboard anyway....along with small trucks with satellite comms gear to link with multiple road units....and anyone who thinks that anpr is just about tax and insurance obviously is too trusting....when everyone has tax and insurance it will all be dismantled ?
As for dvla offices....well, there are quite a few things you can ONLY do by going to an office.....changing the taxation class for one.......I'm sure others know more....

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 20:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

jomukuk wrote:
As for dvla offices....well, there are quite a few things you can ONLY do by going to an office.....changing the taxation class for one.......I'm sure others know more....

Practically the same thing ,but have you ever bought an ex mobility car - which is taxed/registered as "disabled " and tried to get it taxed at a PO? . You'd think that the new RK could simply declare the RK as "not disabled" ,the PO ,tax the vehicle at the appropriate rate ,sending off the V5 for ammendment .NO - it has to be done via the DVLA .
Perhaps that's the way forward , and reverse the decline in PO -give them the powers to change disabled status to non disable, and possibly other changes to taxation classes .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 05:43 
Site Admin

Yep I know I am wishful thinking with the VED within fuel tax but ...
It would be good if the PO could replace those actions that the DVLA offices 'used' to do....
Yep ANPR are in many, many locations, and in large towns / cities it feels like they are 'everywhere', and they are in many RPU anyway, but not in every standard police car. Many main routes see ANPR and a certain 'authority' informed me that car location and tracking was easy and standard. It is disturbing that authorities feel the need to want ANPR, and if the whole system worked in an alternative manner it would make it completely redundant, so I have to ask myself that they want to know where vehicles are whenever they want but if I was a criminal I'd learn which roads didn't have them on and avoid them at all costs. Perhaps criminals are not that 'smart'?? :scratchchin:

BT it is always sad to see people lose a job and I can understand your concerns for them becoming saddened my lack of another and the damage that that might cause.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 09:31 

Sticking VED on fuel puts the cost of road haulage up, which in turn, puts up the cost of pretty much everything in the shops. It also disproportionately penalises people in rural areas who can use anything other than a car (realistically) to get about.

I think the DVLA does FAR more important things than VED though. Clearly you need to keep a track of cars in some way. We all rant about "untraceable cyclists" who flout road regulations with gay abandon, knowing they're unliekly to be found, but imagine what would happen if nobody kept tabs on cars?!

Personally, the business I would for would be very seriously affected if the DVLA Local Office were to close. We modify vehicles and the only way of registering them is via the DVLA Local Office!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 16:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

re the idea of PO taking over bits of local DVLA offices - news today on teletrext about more fragmentising of Post Offices - looks like the idea is now to get rid of offices and just have a counter in garages etc .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16218063

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 19:50 
User

c

Last edited by jomukuk on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 00:41 
Site Admin

Well surely the PO will have to have outlets as where else will we be able to send our post from ? Or do they plan to have us send out when they deliver ?
So I cannot see the end of the PO as they need us to go to them. Last I heard is that they are busier than ever with extra packets and parcels as more buy online, so although their delivery type has changed they are still active and a very necessary part of UK life.
Whilst other organisations take away some of their business there still seems plenty of work for them all !
I cannot see every person being told that they have to go online only, so even if it is a postal facility or a minimal PO - DVLA link I think it will still be possible.
If one of the large supermarkets offered postal services (etc) I dare say it would add to visitors and profits !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:54 
User

Not the point.
The PO has to make money. The more contracts for services they lose, the less money they make.
They have lost large amounts over the years as the gov changes its routines....pension payments for one, benefits payments (well, the same thing really) for another.
Removal of vehicle licencing is just another (small pointed steel pin used to hold wood together) in the (wooden box used to contain deceased person prior to and during burial) (trying to avoid using common phrases others find insulting).
The large postal companies do not want subsidised competition. The present government does not want to pay when private industry will do it (neither did the last one)
Closure of dvla offices will save hundreds of millions...and inconvenience only a few. The few don't matter (unless you're one of them....)
We can look forward to more money-saving things....more privately-funded roads constructed, then paid on an as-you-travel basis. More pay-per-visit charging (London road pricing, coming soon to the capital city)....fuel taxation to increase, as soon as the gov have managed to ensure their next election win....don't forget that the green party want fuel taxation to be at least TRIPLED, and they are present in the gov via the lib-dems....and if you don't believe me, just look at the massive lack of enthusiasm towards shale hydrocarbons....twenty years ago the discovery would have been met with cries of joy, now they cannot suppress their depression at the news of cheap and plentiful energy...
Not everything is black and white (am I allowed to use those colours ?)......you're thinking cost when government doesn't care about cost....there's always another taxation scam to get money....government cares about control.
The days of benign government are gone, now we have to face the fact that government is a malignant organisation growing on our backs.