Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 22:19 
User

Hi all,

they are not for it, what do cyclists know about driving i wonder?

The opportunity is their for them to challenge the findings so why don't they?

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t12650.html

Andrew

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 01:11 
Site Admin

Those messages (over a year old) were originally in the newsgroup: "uk.rec.cycling". Someone reposted them to the forum. I do drop in to uk.rec.cycling from time to time - it's fairly rare these days, not least because they don't seem to like me. Probably they think I'm the antichrist. :)

It's a shame they aren't apparently interested in listening. As far as I can tell, their objectives are pretty similar to ours.

Post subject: waste of time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 16:39 
User

Paul,

yeah i seen some of the other correspondance you had with them and it's blindingly obvious that they are not able to look at things from any other angle, just their own way. If you stapled the facts to their forehead they still would argue night is day.

Regards

Andrew

Post subject: Re: waste of time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 17:00 
User

andys280176 wrote:

yeah i seen some of the other correspondance you had with them and it's blindingly obvious that they are not able to look at things from any other angle, just their own way. If you stapled the facts to their forehead they still would argue night is day.

They are just a bunch of selfish tossers who couldn't give a damn about speed cameras because while motorists are subjected to ever more restrictive rules and regulations, these cyclists are allowed to get away with anything.

Post subject: Definetly selfish
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 22:48 
User

Hi WWJD,

all they want is the roads to themselves with no cars, i can see their vision-all roads painted green with a big cycling sticker every so often and the odd cyclist going about stabbing any tyres of cars he/she sees-like that loony in the papers the other week, what a f***** $%^hole, he stabbed about 800 car tyres because he was sick of "irate motorists", well they do get irate when you get all this road space free at our expense and then cycle down the middle of a dual carriageway or 2 abreast right in the path of people going about their daily business or jump red lights, which in itself proves they do not wish to abide by any road rules and have damn no intention of ever doing so and then say we are wrong when in discussion about vital road safety issues?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 23:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Be fair Andy. Inconsiderate cyclists who ignore the Highway Code don't cause any problems that can't be solved with a large bolt cutter applied to their front wheels. What goes around comes around. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kidding, kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 23:44 
Site Admin

Selfish and aggressive road users are to be deplored whatever their chosen mode of transport. Equally, courteous, skilled and considerate use of the roads is to be encouraged.

There are all sorts of folk in all the groups. Let's not fall into the trap of branding cyclists as aggressive (or whatever). Let's just encourage:

:arrow: Constructive debate
:arrow: A spirit of co-operation
:arrow: Careful use of the roads
:arrow: Sense and responsibility for all road users

If there's aggressive talk and / or "bad feeling" let's rise above it and win with facts and logic. Let's be civil and avoid insults.

Post subject: cyclists
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 21:29 
New User
New User

whilst travelling at a steady 65 mph on a back stretch of safe road( at night)` i happened to nearly mow down a member of the cycling fraternity` who was riding at a safe speed on the wrong side of the road without lights or reflective clothing...it suddenly occurred to me` that instead of speed cameras!...why doesnt someone invent the halfwit camera..so that the pushbike mob can be made to carry their financial weight for the upkeep of our roads that they have been avoiding for so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 15:59 

I dont see why we should give a shit about bloody pedal cyclists concerns, unless our actions are deemed to be a huge threat to them.

After all they pay no bloody road tax, why are they on them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 17:36 

To be quite honest I do think it would be better if push-bikes were separated off the roads onto their own sections. Impractical to do in most places of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 09:20 
Julesm wrote:
I dont see why we should give a shit about bloody pedal cyclists concerns, unless our actions are deemed to be a huge threat to them.

After all they pay no bloody road tax, why are they on them?

Nice to see a well thought out point of view. :roll: You do not pay 'Road Tax' on your car, you pay 'Vehicle Excise Duty', of which I suspect little or none is spent on roads. I believe local roads are maintained by councils; funded from council taxes and central government. Since I pay my council tax, income tax, etc., on those occasions when I choose to leave my beloved car at home, I will continue to feel no compunction about using my push bike on public roads. :twisted:

As Paul has already said, we need to be considerate of all road users, whatever their chosen mode of transport. You might be interested in the further debate on this topic in this thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:19 

I pay far more in council taxes than I pay in Vehicle Excise Duty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Earl Purple wrote:

But if you do an average annual mileage you may well pay more in Fuel Duty and the VAT thereon than in Council Tax.

Regards,

Peter

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:33 
User

PeterE wrote:
Earl Purple wrote:

But if you do an average annual mileage you may well pay more in Fuel Duty and the VAT thereon than in Council Tax.

Regards,

Peter

Very True! Costs of driving a car more than contribute to overall costs of maintaining highways in real terms!

But the original poster asked what cyclists know about driving - and as you all know - we call them "muesli munchers" to reflect their "healthy" lifstyle! :wink:

But even so - I do --er -- ride a pedal bike sometimes, and members of this family :shock: :shock: ride horses - so guess it is fair to say - some cyclists and hoss riders abide by rules - but then we are odd and elite bunch anyway! :lol:

And as such - definitely not the norm for cyclists! But - hey - we do post on their forums - and have unbelievable fun tormenting them! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 19:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Mad Moggie wrote:
But even so - I do --er -- ride a pedal bike sometimes, and members of this family :shock: :shock: ride horses - so guess it is fair to say - some cyclists and hoss riders abide by rules - but then we are odd and elite bunch anyway! :lol:

I recall a survey being done on the ABD forum a few years ago which came up with the statistic that a considerably higher proportion of ABD members were active cyclists than in the population as a whole - make of that what you will.

I think a lot of this cyclists vs. drivers opposition is whipped up by anti-car activists who want to create an artificial good vs. bad contrast.

And many cyclists (even the militant ones) despair at the ludicrous "cycling facilities" provided at great expense by local councils - see, for example, Cycling Facility of the Month. This site does contain plenty of anti-car sentiment, but some of those facilities are really laughable.

Regards,

Peter

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:08 

I do a fair bit of cycling as a sport so I'm on the roads a lot training.I do everything a car would,like indicate what I'm about to do if possible,stop at lights etc etc but there is definetely a mentality in some cyclists that has to be seen to be believed! I hit one once,he was cycling with no hands and lost control as he was coming towards me and ended up in front of the car.I tapped him, but he left with serious earache after I found out he was ok!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:29 
User

I wonder how these 'anti car activists' would like to see a world where everyone travelled by public transport? I'm sure they'd like to see the police, the fire service, ambulances, all being run on busses/trains. What? We should make an exception for them? Ok. How about doctors and surgeons performing life-saving work? Ah, they're allowed too? What about areas where there is no public transport? Oh, we'll build new railways and bus routes with the money saved from people not using the roads. Oh wait, there won't be money saved, because billions of pounds of road tax will have gone missing.

Any way you look at it, the motor car is here to stay. It is, and will for some time be, the easiest and most appropriate way to undertake a huge variety of journeys. So I say it's about time these 'eco warriors' realised this, and started thinking of ways the roads can be made safer - rather than spending all their time getting at motorists..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 17:37 
User

Heard this today, seems appropriate:
'Do not waste time arguing with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and in the end they will win with experience' :shock:
arthurdent