Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: No swearing please
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 09:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not really worthy of a new topic but I’ve just come across an interesting website which has, as far as I know, a unique thing which automatically censors bad language.

I posted about something which included the word ‘smart arse’ and ‘tosser’ and they appeared as ‘smart a***e’ and ‘t****r’.

Clever eh? Well, I thought so. :)

(BTW It’s not as bad as it sounds; I found the site when I Googled about a problem I was having with my house alarm :x ).

http://www.diynot.com/forums/

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: No swearing please
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 14:07 
Life Member
Life Member

PH censors (even quite mild) swearwords.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 14:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh, I didn’t know that. Does it replace the naughty bit with asterisks like on DIYnot? I haven’t been on PH for a long time but I like to think I didn’t know about it because I don’t swear much. :) It must be one heck of an algorithm, complete with database of obscene words etc.

Cheers Johnny

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 16:06 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

You can set up word filters on phpBB but Paul always took the view that contributors should be treated as adults and not nannied.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 16:29 

Quite right too, we don't want rediculously low Swear Limits and Swear Cameras (even in the interests of safety), on this site thank you ....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 19:23 
Life Member
Life Member

I had the word "twat" censored on there recently; it puts a little "censored" icon in. Until then I'd genuinely assumed it was a user-inserted smiley!

:oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 21:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
You can set up word filters on phpBB but Paul always took the view that contributors should be treated as adults and not nannied.

But in effect the mods are 'nannying' aren't they?

I am not so vulgar as to test it, but I'm sure certain words would be censored here - and quite rightly so IMHO.

As someone who was flamed some time ago elsewhere, (big time), I realised there is a very fine divide between freedom of speech and common decency...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 21:26 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
PeterE wrote:

I am not so vulgar as to test it, but I'm sure certain words would be censored here - and quite rightly so IMHO.

I assure you there are no automatic word filters in operation here - although if someone overdid it they would be told off and I think on occasion a bit of gratuitous swearing has been asterisked out.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 21:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
PeterE wrote:

I assure you there are no automatic word filters in operation here
I didn't think for a moment there was Peter and I hope it didn't seem as though I was suggesting differentlly :bunker:

As I mentioned recently, I think SS has the perfect balance and I'm very happy to be here :D even if I do get on peoples' tits occasionally.

Can I say tits? :roll:

Yep :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 23:04 
Site Admin

There was an idea batted about a bit too about people who wanted to swear put some money towards Safe Speed ... :)
But although an icon and a contribution webpage could be linked, for the worst words (and we do try to remind people that children might be reading) a preference of 'please try to refrain', mostly works, and as I agreed with Paul, (when we chatted about it one day) - freedom of speech is important.
But all contributions are welcome of course. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 19:40 
User

Rugger me!!! :lol: